any one know wher to get this PVC fitting? And can I use it like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

resq944

Reaction score
EDITED for sugestions again See bleow

Edited again :) See below

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
washer_rough_b.jpg

Washer and Laundry tray waste and vents.
Notice that the vent for the washer angles toward the drain, not toward the p-trap.
Why wouldn't you put a wye fitting on it's back with a street 45 straight up toward the vent? Or like the drawing above it would be a 2x1-1/2" combo.
You can use a santee in the vertical postition like on the left, or if you are going horizontal, you would use a wye fitting for the vent.
Notice that the vents tie back together at 42".

All fittings below the "flood level" of the fixture must be waste fittings.
No "vent" 90 els below or santees on their back, another no-no.

The distance between the vent and the downward bend of the p-trap can be five feet.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Most inspectors would not "buy" any of the three options. If the "Y" were turned around it would work. Without seeing the actual installation and the space constraints, an alternative installation is difficult to suggest. But the one that comes to mind is having the vent come straight down into the 3" horizontal pipe with the tub branch into the side of a tee just above its connection into the 3".

King3244

Reaction score
Terry,
On that picture you posted would it be possible to have another sink drain into the upright for the washer drain through a wye?
I am currently in the midst of doing a job that looks almost like that one with the exception of this extra sink. The lady makes wine and this sink would only be used about once a month (not that that makes any difference I suppose). It would be vented properly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

In most areas you could connect it to the washing machine's vent pipe, not the riser for the drain hose. But you could not use a "Y". It would have to be a sanitary tee.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you want a sink to the right of the washer standpipe, I would add a tee below the tee for the washer drain, and run below to the other side.

Then you would use a long turn 90 el, up to a santee fitting for the sink drain.
The vent above the tee would continue up and could be turned again at 42" and revent with the other vents, or continue straight up through the roof.

As for the top drawing, the wye on the vent, though it looks clean and all, does not meet the purpose of using wye fittings below grade.
The assumption is that water goes down the vents and needs to drain properly through the fittings.
If that is the case, it's obvious that the wye is backwards. The wye should be flipped around and fittings used to bring the pipe toward the wall.
If left as is, the next owner of the home adds plumbing mistakenly to the vent. The waste has to drop down through the wye toward the shower p-trap and then make a U-turn on itself to thead down the drain. Forget about running a snake down that thing.

Your're thinking hard, but not getting it yet.

King3244

Reaction score
HJ, Okay thanks.

I am confused about this wye versus a sanitary tee. In a drain situation wouldn't a wye be better than the sanitary tee?

Terry, I am a different guy posting to the original post.

resq944

Reaction score
I got both the tub and shower done will post pics

Last edited:

resq944

Reaction score
Thanks for all you help terry, So would that be a go IYHO, or rather does that conform to the IPC?

Also can I roll the wye 45deg. so I can get more clearance from the floor.

Last edited:

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
vent

The vent would function great, but no it does not conform to IPC.
No horizontal dry vents allowed from 6" above the flood level rim of the fixture and below.

EDIT: The tub drain, trap, and vent can all be 1-1/2" if that will help, but I would personally keep it 2".

Attachments

• resq944.JPG
    resq944.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 956
Last edited:

resq944

Reaction score
All the drains and vent but the toilet are in Im almost there:)

Thansk for all you help guys

Last edited: