Question about connecting PVC to existing cast cleanout w/ Pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Vdeloren

Reaction score
DIY- minimal plumbing experience - I am in the process of attempting to finish my basement and want to re-work the layout which will involve me reconfiguring the existing pipes. I have excavated the area, and because the bathroom is right where the main leaves the house, the main drain line is pretty deep under the floor. There is a cleanout (you can see in the photo) that is a cast wye that bends right down into the main drain line. Is it possible for me to cut this cleanout, and then basically connect a 4" PVC 90 off the top of it, with a fernco fitting to create a new toilet line? Then I would simply cut the existing 4" cast and reduce it to 2" for a shower drain and connect it to the existing vent for sink?

I know I can do the shower drain and the sink without much of an issue, I am just concerned about connecting pvc to the cleanout with a 90 and whether that is acceptable. Also, is the 2" vent going to be sufficient for the toilet or will I have problems? I could excavate a little more and do a cleanout behind the toilet and then connect it to the vent but it seems like it is such a short run, with the main being right there and that vent being like 8 feet away, I feel like it should be okay?

EDIT: Also if allowed, what is a fair price for someone to charge to do this work since its been excavated etc.? I have no idea what I am looking at here cost wise. $1000? $5000?

IMG_9951.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks