RO filter replacement intervals

Users who are viewing this thread

RonP

Reaction score
Hello. I am a DIYer with an RO system under my kitchen sink that was installed by the previous homeowner. Last year, I purchased Alton brand filters and membrane from Amazon and installed them. (FX12M and FX12P). I take DIYing very seriously, and I followed all instructions exactly.

According to any instructions I can find, replacement intervals are always determined by length of time (one year in my case). But I have noticed in the paperwork that came with the filters that they are supposed to be capable of filtering 2000 gallons of water.

I am single, and I live alone. I don't think I ever use even an entire gallon of RO water in a single day. My honest estimate is that I have filtered a MAX of 250 gallons over the past year. (Probably not even that much.)

Do I really need to be replacing these filters annually, or can I save myself some money and labor?

Thank you for the advice.

EDIT: I have been checking in on this post for several days, and there are no replies. I would delete my post, but I don't think that this forum gives the users that option.

I have posted other questions before, and the email notifications have never worked for me, so I have always had to log in and navigate to my post to see replies.

I am not going to check on this post further. While any replies would be kind, please be advised that at this point I would not see them. Thank you again.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks