Air Gap Receptor For Condensate Drain Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Wyeast

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for some advice on installing a receptor for condensate drain lines.

I have a floor drain in my mechanical room which is vented through a 2" vent on the wall. (see attached photo)

Question is: Would it be code compliant to wye off of the vent and add a trap and receptor to collect from the 3/4" condensate lines?

Thanks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Short answer is No.. The vent is a vent, not a drain. Plumbing code would want the condensate to be piped to an indirect drain with its own trap and vent... But I have seen condensate piped into vents before. Its a very low flow.

Wyeast

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply tuttles.

I agree that a vent is a vent....unless it's a wet vent.

Seems like this would be similar to that allowed by UPC 814.6.

Any thoughts on this?

----------------
Where the condensate waste from air-conditioning

coils discharges by direct connection to a lavatory tailpiece

or to an approved accessible inlet on a bathtub overflow,

the connection shall be located in the area controlled by the

same person controlling the air-conditioned space."

-----------------

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That refers to piping condensate into the tail piece of a fixture so that it is protected by a trap already. The important part is the trap that is going to remain sealed by constant use.. ie you're going to use your sink all the time so the trap won't dry out and allow sewer gases to enter your home. A trap dedicated to only intermitent condensate use may dry up in the summer or winter depending on the use of the appliance.

What is that pex tube that is sticking up out of the concrete along the wall.. is that a trap primer line that feeds directly to the p-trap? That would serve the same idea that the above referenced code.. piping the condensate to an already protected trap.. might still need to add a trap primer to that if that is what that tube is doing.

And are we Certain that that ABS plug is covering a floor drain... or could that be a clean out cover?

Wyeast

Reaction score
Got word back from the local inspector saying what I have proposed is ok - so that answers that.

The blue Pex is indeed there as a trap primer for the floor drain. The inspector's approval was contingent on me supplying both traps (floor and condensate) with the trap primer - you called it spot on tuttles.

Hope this helps folks down the road if they end up with a similar situation.

Cheers