Multiple appliances discharge into one floor drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

PepeLePue

Reaction score
Have one floor drain in mechanical room. Looking for best ways to organize this. The furnace condensate, water heater T&P, and drain pan all feed into the same drain. I also have a washing machine. I doubt I can get these to all fit, are there some best practices for these situations? I’m thinking of forgoing the drain for washing machine and putting a sensor in the pan. Since high efficiency and it’s not going to be behind closet doors should be easier to monitor. How do I clean up the floor drain though? Do people use zip ties or something? I’m somewhat concerned if I cut back the copper to be 1-1/2” above the drain (air gap) it will spray all over the floor given the other pipes that are in the drain already. Should I put a 3” to 1” reducing fitting as a funnel of some sort?

Attachments

• IMG_7584.png
    IMG_7584.png
    964.1 KB · Views: 44

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does you furnace have an upper and lower condensate drain? If so that probably has to stay. The other two upper ones can probably go into a reducer that is piped to the drain.

It's not a basement? If it is then the t&p can just go straight to the floor and doesn't need to be piped to the drain.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
maybe use a laundry stand pipe for t and p or condensate ? might be too high for the furnace

PepeLePue

Reaction score
maybe use a laundry stand pipe for t and p or condensate ? might be too high for the furnace
Laundry standpipe is too far but that could have been a good idea. I'm thinking may re-route the condensate drain for the furnace and the T&P into a funnel using 3" to 1" reducer coupling.. just not enough space otherwise.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Laundry standpipe is too far but that could have been a good idea. I'm thinking may re-route the condensate drain for the furnace and the T&P into a funnel using 3" to 1" reducer coupling.. just not enough space otherwise.
looks like you have a stack right there but if you use that it would need a vent or AAV if permited and possibly a trap primer .
its a bit of work I don t like those crowded floor drains kind of pet peeve wouda been nice to think of that during the build .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks