AIN'T GOT NO WATER!

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Step

Reaction score
We live on the frozen tundra of Illinois. I have what I believe is a 220 pump 65 feet deep. Pump stopped 2 weeks ago. YEAH, wife is TICKED! A couple of days after transferring power to another breaker. Pump ran fine, then stopped. The pump isn't the problem, as I can run it with a generator, 220 line. I have 220 at the breaker, a 3 wire (blk, red ,green and ground.) Goes up in the wall, and I presume out in the ground. They are
round wires. Where my water line comes in I have a flat 3 wire (blk, wht, ground) that goes directly to the pump switch (110), then to its own single pull breaker. Thus far everything tests out, as far as I can tell, correct. At the well i have 2 wire flat, with ground, coming out of the ground, hot blk, wht un powered, and ground. Running down the casing, I have blk , red and yellow I believe.
That's all I have, and on its own, doesn't work. I have two hot blks , and two cold whts on the other side right side of switch. Should all the terminals be hot, able to be interrupted by the operation of the new switch? Assuming this follows the water supply out to casing thereby supplying 220 (blk and wht hot, and ground?
Comments, especially correction, is much appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
Where my water line comes in I have a flat 3 wire (blk, wht, ground) that goes directly to the pump switch (110), then to its own single pull breaker. Thus far everything tests out, as far as I can tell, correct. At the well i have 2 wire flat, with ground, coming out of the ground, hot blk, wht un powered, and ground. Running down the casing, I have blk , red and yellow I believe.
A 230 volt pump would be fed with 2 hots. The breaker would be a 2-pole breaker. The wiring to the pressure switch is not always like this picture, but it often is.

index.php

Usually you could do handy voltage measurements at the pressure switch.

You don't really describe the wiring to the generator.

Mike Step

Reaction score
At the generator, i have it supplying 220. I believe that's what need. Looking at the diagram, that's EXACTLY what I have.

Thanks for the quick response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks