3 Wire Pump, does control box have to be after switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rkymtnoffgrd

Reaction score
This answer should be easy to find, but to no avail, as many answers come back, "in most applications"... So I'm asking it directly, does the control box need to be after the switch?
My existing 3 wire setup is a currently double pole breaker, a control box wired immediately after the breaker, and 3 wires going to well and not other controls... You turn on the breaker, the pump discharges into an irrigation ditch, turn off the breaker to stop... there are no isolation valves, no switches, no pressure tank, (without valves, everything is open, there are no current means to blow up the lines).
But, I'm adding a pressure tank and switch into the system, in-between the existing control and well, so that I can keep pressure on the lines. Do I have to relocate the control box to after the switch?

Rkymtnoffgrd

Reaction score
There is check a valve, approximately 1' before the CSV1A, any problems with this, is this sufficient distance/volume for the necessary backpressure?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sometimes the extra check valve does not cause problems, but it most likely will at some time. It would be best to remove or gut the extra check valve. The power needs to go from the breaker to the pressure switch, pressure switch to control box, control box to pump/motor.

Rkymtnoffgrd

Reaction score
Thankyou both, very helpful I will remove the check...
One last question... I have 4 wires coming into the controller (Franklin QD)... L1Black,L2Red,NeutralWite, & Bare Ground; everything past the subpanel is supposed to have an isolated neutral. How does this work with the controller? The 4wires going out seem to only carry one neutral/ground.
1) I bond the incoming white neutral, incoming bare ground and outgoing bare ground at the controller grounding lugs?
2) I bond the incoming bare ground to the controller grounding lug, and then tie the incoming white neutral to the outgoing bare ground wire? (not grounded to the controller body)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
For 230V you should only have 3 wires going into the Franklin controller. One wire from each of the two breakers, through the pressure switch to L1 and L2, then a ground to the green terminal. There should be 4 wires going out of the Franklin controller to the motor. It will have a red, black, and a yellow, which are all hot, going to the terminal block. Then there is also a ground wire, which is green at the motor leads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks