Adding depth to stair treads

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I live in an old house, the staircase is steep. It's got 7" risers and 8 3/8" depth treads. I can't remove the stringers. Is there a way to replace or top off the treads with deeper treads to make the stairs safer?
I've got some open distance at the bottom of the staircase. Thanks.

Reaction score
No. If you lengthen the treads without lengthening the run, you make more dangerous for going down the stairs.
Thanks....I get your point. Thing is I only have 7 or 8 inches of space to lengthen the whole thing which doesn't make a big enough difference. So it's back to a solution for steep stairs I used elsewhere....tactile paint....made the steps down at least skid resistant.

Reaction score
I have seen it and reject it as an accident waiting to happen. If we had no one but my wife and me going up and down maybe it would work, but with others visiting it's a ridiculous thing to ask of them...basically to get used to something so unusual. Either way, thanks very much...appreciate the thought.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
How that stair guy gets to say it is code compliant is ridiculous. I am well aware of what the building code requires. Even though they don't do residences, OSHA would probably use it as an example of what not to do. I have worked on many of the 'old' steep stairways. I always installed substantial handrails on both sides of the stairs and you need to be very creative at times. The new bright LED lights in the stairway are also my requirement. I did this for a senior lady that uses a cane. She had never been down in the cellar laundry room, leaving the wash for her husband to do. Now she works her way down using the handrails.

Reaction score
How that stair guy gets to say it is code compliant is ridiculous. I am well aware of what the building code requires. Even though they don't do residences, OSHA would probably use it as an example of what not to do. I have worked on many of the 'old' steep stairways. I always installed substantial handrails on both sides of the stairs and you need to be very creative at times. The new bright LED lights in the stairway are also my requirement. I did this for a senior lady that uses a cane. She had never been down in the cellar laundry room, leaving the wash for her husband to do. Now she works her way down using the handrails.
Actually, since we bought this place I did exactly that...banisters on both sides and an LED. Those work well, nevertheless, yesterday I began the process of pulling up the treads which were built long ago...square nails give you an idea of how long? Anyway, the treads are quite worn, rounded off way too much and I'm replacing them with new wood painted with tactile paint. I'm confident.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Thing is I only have 7 or 8 inches of space to lengthen the whole thing which doesn't make a big enough difference.
You don't provide enough detail to back that assertion. The length of run can sometimes be mitigated by putting in a landing and turning 90 degrees or turning with winders. It might come down to how easy or difficult it is. In some cases it might be better to abandon the existing stairwell turning it into a closet and relocating the stairs to another part of the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks