My anode rod replacement quest for Bradford White (only threads sticking out)

Users who are viewing this thread

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
Hi, live in Texas area with hard water, have a water softener. 5 year old heater. Did my research here, and other places.

Removed rod, had plenty of life. Rod was aluminum (tested with vinegar). Replaced with magnesium. Pics coming.

Thoughts on when I should replace this again? Given this can't be easily checked, and I've switched anode material?

My heat trap rubber piece was disintegrated. What good are these things? Not sure it's worth the trouble I went thru to have this piece in place.

Below is my full quest, it's riveting reading:

* Ordered a nunchaku style aluminum rod
* Read that with hard water + water softener I should probably have a magnesium rod
* Ordered a nunchaku style magnesium rod
* Ordered a heat trap (effing $20 on amazon!)
* Ordered a 11/16 drill bit, the new rod plastic opening not the right size for heat trap
* Drilled out the magnesium rod
* Only threads sticking up on BW heater Only Threads Showing
* Got an internal pipe wrench, a 5/8 and 3/4 bolt. 3/4 too big, 5/8 too small. Didn't use any of this stuff.
* Got a M18 bolt from Tractor Supply (big box didn't have it)
* Unscrewed outlet connection
* Removed heat trap, rubber part had disintegrated
* Screw in M18 bolt (just right fit)
* Using 18inch pipe wrench and rag, unscrewed rod
* Rod appeared to have plenty of life, but threads prob messed up from pipe wrench. Might have worked, prob not
* No clearance for rod, used bolt cutters to cut twice (not very easy)
* Put new rod in
* Rage^3 at Bradford White for design
* It was all just like that kid that pulled the sword from the stone
1707846788275.png

1707846804225.png

1707846828190.png

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Well done. Very few people attempt that, and fewer succeed.

"Read that with hard water + water softener I should probably have a magnesium rod"
I think the primary factor is if you get an H2S ("sulfur") smell from hot water from the WH. An "aluminum" does not support IRB (iron reducing bacteria) as much as magnesium does.

A powered anode supports IRB even less. I have opinions on the choice of powered anodes

Slomoola

Reaction score
I went to the powered anodes in my house. No more do I need this flavor of the week rod or this type rod for this water. Best warranty bar far of any rod and no rotten egg smells. By the time you buy sockets and impact guns, powered anode rod is the way.

RichPKui

Reaction score
Hi, live in Texas area with hard water, have a water softener. 5 year old heater. Did my research here, and other places.

Removed rod, had plenty of life. Rod was aluminum (tested with vinegar). Replaced with magnesium. Pics coming.

Thoughts on when I should replace this again? Given this can't be easily checked, and I've switched anode material?

My heat trap rubber piece was disintegrated. What good are these things? Not sure it's worth the trouble I went thru to have this piece in place.

Below is my full quest, it's riveting reading:

* Ordered a nunchaku style aluminum rod
* Read that with hard water + water softener I should probably have a magnesium rod
* Ordered a nunchaku style magnesium rod
* Ordered a heat trap (effing $20 on amazon!)
* Ordered a 11/16 drill bit, the new rod plastic opening not the right size for heat trap
* Drilled out the magnesium rod
* Only threads sticking up on BW heater Only Threads Showing
* Got an internal pipe wrench, a 5/8 and 3/4 bolt. 3/4 too big, 5/8 too small. Didn't use any of this stuff.
* Got a M18 bolt from Tractor Supply (big box didn't have it)
* Unscrewed outlet connection
* Removed heat trap, rubber part had disintegrated
* Screw in M18 bolt (just right fit)
* Using 18inch pipe wrench and rag, unscrewed rod
* Rod appeared to have plenty of life, but threads prob messed up from pipe wrench. Might have worked, prob not
* No clearance for rod, used bolt cutters to cut twice (not very easy)
* Put new rod in
* Rage^3 at Bradford White for design
* It was all just like that kid that pulled the sword from the stone
View attachment 97247
View attachment 97248
View attachment 97249
Well water or Pubic Service supply ? I 've got Denver Water; they do filter out the larger chunks and dump in lots of chlorine. (Hard for my tomato plants).
Thank Your for the information and good pics. I learned a lot from your post.
I replace anode rod with power anode; that got me 4 new dripping leaks. Two from the untouched shut off valves. The teflon tape didn't work. The stainless pipe nipples seem to be slightly smaller than spec. Even bought new ones from different source, no improvement. More torque only stopped one dripper. At least wrapping with rags wiks and keeps floor dry. &^*#$ !

RichPKui

Reaction score
I went to the powered anodes in my house. No more do I need this flavor of the week rod or this type rod for this water. Best warranty bar far of any rod and no rotten egg smells. By the time you buy sockets and impact guns, powered anode rod is the way.
Power anode ? Not really.. May take out the smell, BUT does it extend tank LIFE ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks