1 well, two houses, do I need to change this setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

tpcolson

Reaction score
I'm considering a replacement/upgrade of my well tank (currently 30 gallon with a 30/50 switch). I'm on a shared well (I own it). Without getting into an internet lawyer thread, the "other" house thinks the fact that water come out of their faucet is magic and see no need for their own pressure tank, etc. I'm legally obligated to "maintain the water distribution system in working order" and can only "collect fees as necessary for the electricity consumption of the well pump". I knew that when I bought the place so....

The well is 480 feet deep, short distance from the house. The supply for the second house tees off the main well line just before my house. Second house is 200 ft from well head, no elevation change. Inside my house is a pressure tank followed by a distribution manifold for inside plumbing. Pressure switch is also in my house, on a 240 double pole in my panel.

The question is, if (when) I replace the tank, do I tee off the tank tee to the second house, or leave the existing piping to the second house as shown (which doesn't make sense to me)?

No check valves other than what (if any) is installed at the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
so having the tee off to the second house BEFORE the pressure tank won't cause excessive pump cycling?

NO. But using small flow rates for long periods of time will cause excessive pump cycling. The tank is fine where it is. But with two houses you either need to double the size of tank or put a CSV before the first line tees off from the well.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The tank is fine where it is. But with two houses you either need to double the size of tank

How do you know the tank is not already sized for two houses, because it seems like it has been working up till now?

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm considering a replacement/upgrade of my well tank (currently 30 gallon with a 30/50 switch). I'm on a shared well (I own it). Without getting into an internet lawyer thread, the "other" house thinks the fact that water come out of their faucet is magic and see no need for their own pressure tank, etc. I'm legally obligated to "maintain the water distribution system in working order" and can only "collect fees as necessary for the electricity consumption of the well pump". I knew that when I bought the place so....

The well is 480 feet deep, short distance from the house. The supply for the second house tees off the main well line just before my house. Second house is 200 ft from well head, no elevation change. Inside my house is a pressure tank followed by a distribution manifold for inside plumbing. Pressure switch is also in my house, on a 240 double pole in my panel.

The question is, if (when) I replace the tank, do I tee off the tank tee to the second house, or leave the existing piping to the second house as shown (which doesn't make sense to me)?

No check valves other than what (if any) is installed at the pump.
no problem having BOTh houses on the same pressure tank. 30 gallons is awfully small though. I would upsize the pressure tank to 80-gallons and upgrade to a 40/60 switch and then tweak it up to about 45/65

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 30 gallon tank only holds about 8 gallons of water. Without a CSV two of those would be about the minimum I would use with two houses. Like Michael says, an 80 gallon tank would be better as it holds about 20 gallons of water. But with a CSV one of those 30 gallon tanks is more than plenty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks