ABS to PVC under new vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

projectgirl

Reaction score
When my old vanity was removed, the plumber did not keep the old ABS trap. I now have the ABS piping coming out of my wall with the threaded elbow. My question is "can I use a PVC trap to connect the old plumbing to my new sink? If the answer is "no", what is your recommended action?
Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

1. The drain on the new sink is not likely to be in the same place as the old one was so you will have to cut that elbow off and use the adapter from the new trap.
2. Those elbows are not generic, so you will have to cut it off and use a different connection.
3. I ALWAYS cut those elbows off, since they are a very poor way to connect a sink.

So I guess what I am trying to tell you is to forget about that elbow, cut it off, and use the adapter that comes with the new trap.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
...and that new trap will need to be ABS, to match the piping coming out of the wall.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
dubldare said:
...and that new trap will need to be ABS, to match the piping coming out of the wall.

Why does it need to be ABS? Why does it have to match?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, without being a pain, if you are gluing things, you want to match the materials and make sure you use the right glues. If it is a slip coupling, it doesn't matter...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They have glue/solvent that will work on both PVC and ABS or a banded coupling may work to join the 2. If it is just for for the looks I understand.

Last edited:

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Yes, but that trap adapter is the thing that has to match the existing piping.

While they do make multi-purpose (clear/amber colored) cements, they are not specifically for transitions. Transition cement is a god-awful green color, and hard to come by.

Codes differ everwhere. ND will allow one ABS/PVC glued transition, but only at the building drain/building sewer connection. MN requires a mechanical transition--female to male adapter, but most locales have begun to accept shielded mission bands for the transitions (since the orange sticker now states plastic to plastic).

All I know is that if I was to have any inspector around these parts see a PVC trap adapter glued onto an ABS pipe, I'd have alot of explaining to do, and I'd better have the saw ready.

Whether or not it will work is not for me to argue, or to give credence to. I'm supposed to know better.

Last edited:

Justin_NJ

Reaction score
transition cement

Found it in Lowes as I just used it last week... My house has ABS and the shower drain kit only came in PVC.

you can also use the clear stuff used for both pvc/abs. just be careful on the abs side not to use ABS primer - it will melt the pipe...

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Abs to Pvc

Justin_NJ said:
Found it in Lowes as I just used it last week... My house has ABS and the shower drain kit only came in PVC.

you can also use the clear stuff used for both pvc/abs. just be careful on the abs side not to use ABS primer - it will melt the pipe...

Where I live the use of universal cements has been banned for many years [they will leak]

A better install is to use a transition coupling

It's supposed to melt, the connection is called a solvent weld joint, not a glue joint

This is for information only, don't shoot!

...............................................................................................
"If all else fails, read the directions"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks