move waste line

Users who are viewing this thread

Isabella

Reaction score
Hello, my house is has a raised foundation but 1/4 of it is an addition with slab tipe foundation. The waste line is underneath that. Anyway, I am planing on soon redoing my plumbing, and wanted to know if waist line can be rerouted so it is not underneath concrete slab? Thank you.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There may be other considerations, but the main thing is the drain line must maintain at least a 1/4" per foot slope the entire length.

Isabella

Reaction score
moving waste line

Ok, this may e a dumb question, but where are main sewer lines usually located. I'm assuming in front of the property.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't start new messages on the same topic...it just confuses issues.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Isabella said:
... where are main sewer lines usually located. I'm assuming in front of the property.

One indicator might be whether or not there are storm drains along the edge of the street or roadway at the front of the property, but I have also heard of sewer lines running beneath alleyways at the back. Whatever the case might actually be, yes, it should be possible to re-route a drain line if there is room to do so and the cost is not prohibitive. When a septic system went bad at a place where my wife and I used to live, the landlord ended up spending several thousand dollars to run a 6" line around from the back of the house and out to the street where a monstrous hole had been dug to make room for the equipment to bore through under the roadway and connect with the sewer line on the other side of the street.

Why might your waste line need to be moved?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
waster lines

The waste lines are wherever the city had access to install them. Usually in front, often in the back, and occassionally down the side of the property. As far as relocating them is concerned, if they are not failing the cost of doing so will be excessive considering any benefits you would receive. After all, homes with entire slab floors have ALL the drain piping under them and do not have problems with it unless they were installed improperly.

RRW

Reaction score
The main sewer can be anywhere. If you have an alley it may be in it, if not probably not. If there is an alley, look for manhole covers, that will be a good clue. If your line is iron there is probably no need to reroute. I had Orangeburg under my addition and I had it lined with an epoxy/fiberglass liner so it would not become an issue in the future.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Call the sewer dept or district which you pay your sewer fees to. Hopefully, they would know where the sewer main that serves your house is located.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks