Foam core ABS for main underground sewer line to street in the 90's?

Users who are viewing this thread

granite55

Reaction score
I am not entirely sure if my cell core waste line is run fully under my slab to the main sewer so I wanted to ask some of the experts who have been in this field for many years, was foam core approved for use in 1995 to run from the house underground to the main sewer line to the street? I am in Ohio if that helps.

I am now sure how I would be able to find out. I am trying to reach out to the builder and see if the blue prints are still available.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if it was approved, but I've seen ABS used as sewer pipe before. I know in our area it wasn't until recently that it was specifically banned from sewer use.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never heard of foam core ABS sch 40 pipe being illegal for sewer. Thats almost all I ever ran from the mid 80s till 03 and since then Ive only ran a few sewer lines . Im not aware but all ears to hear issues with abs are we talking sdr 35 or sch 40 ?

granite55

Reaction score
Ive never heard of foam core ABS sch 40 pipe being illegal for sewer. Thats almost all I ever ran from the mid 80s till 03 and since then Ive only ran a few sewer lines . Im not aware but all ears to hear issues with abs are we talking sdr 35 or sch 40 ?
Thanks sorry yes Sch 40.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
City of Seattle wants PVC pipe. Deeper than 18" over top of pipe can be SDR 35 gasketed, under 18" cover it must be SCH 40 PVC well casing / solid core.. Specifically says NO Foam Core.

granite55

Reaction score
City of Seattle wants PVC pipe. Deeper than 18" over top of pipe can be SDR 35 gasketed, under 18" cover it must be SCH 40 PVC well casing / solid core.. Specifically says NO Foam Core.
Thanks for that info. I wonder what the rules for cell core underground sewer were back in the 90's? I am curious of this as if my main line ever got blocked I would hate a plumber to run a snake and penetrate the cell core wall.

I know that I have cell core drains all through my basement, and I also see it going down cemented into the basement slab flooring. I assume then that they ran it under the house but I have no way to find out really. I am curious if in that era if they abutted it to a solid core PVC sewer line or just continued it out. I am going to try and reach out to the local health dept and see if they have records still for this. I am also going to reach out to the builder who is still around.

I can't understand the reason for cell core. I wish the entire house was solid PVC but besides redoing it all... I just have to handle it with care.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think its that delicate. Cell core has been around for decades and I've only rarely seen spots where its been eaten up by standing drain cleaner which would just as likely destroy solid core. The pipe walls are smooth and if installed properly you can barely tell that they're used when you camera ABS or PVC drains (my experience) so theres very little need to have them snaked. Nobody that I know has blown out the side wall of ABS or PVC...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Please clarify. The OP is talking about thge inside the building DWV or sewer outside the building?
and Tuttles is saying only PVC is allowed ? house built in 1995 not ABS ? abs foam core sch40 not allowed for drainage and sewer?

granite55

Reaction score
Sorry I w
Please clarify. The OP is talking about thge inside the building DWV or sewer outside the building?
and Tuttles is saying only PVC is allowed ? house built in 1995 not ABS ? abs foam core sch40 not allowed for drainage and sewer?
Sorry I was more concerned with the piping that runs underneath the house slab to the street. I wonder what code was in 95 for ABS cellular core for that application or if it was introduced for main underground sewers later?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry I w

Sorry I was more concerned with the piping that runs underneath the house slab to the street. I wonder what code was in 95 for ABS cellular core for that application or if it was introduced for main underground sewers later?
Its the only thing Ive seen underground since 95 . well maybe Ive seen 1 or 2 in a thousand pvc . Ive never heard of solid core ABS maybe it exists.
I didnt understand Tuttles bringing up pvc if ABS foam core has restrictions but I never heard of any with sch 40 foam core ABS?

granite55

Reaction score
Its the only thing Ive seen underground since 95 . well maybe Ive seen 1 or 2 in a thousand pvc . Ive never heard of solid core ABS maybe it exists.
I didnt understand Tuttles bringing up pvc if ABS foam core has restrictions but I never heard of any with sch 40 foam core ABS?
Thanks! So do you feel 95 is when they started using it underground? I am having a tough time finding out the info. I emailed the Charlotte pipe company just out of curiosity to see when it started being used as underground sewer piping with no such luck.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The piping that runs underneath the house slab to the street.
Terminological note: a sewer is an underground drain pipe that is outside the footprint of the building (IIRC the demarcation point is 2' from the building). The underground drain pipe that is under the house slab is called the building drain, or it can be a branch drain if there are multiple underground branches.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terminological note: a sewer is an underground drain pipe that is outside the footprint of the building (IIRC the demarcation point is 2' from the building)
Good distinction. Lots of people refer to any drainage as sewer, but I thought the OP understood the distinction in the first post. And yes, 2ft out of the foot print of the building... and we argue back and forth whether the eaves/gutters are that footprint.

ABS used to be solid core when it was introduced. I don't recall when cellular core was introduced, but it was likely in the 70-80s. ABS solid core is currently available in the Seattle area to purchase. Most residential and commercial DWV in our area is Foam Core PVC or ABS. Foam core has been approved for underground / under slab for decades.. Only recently did our jurisdiction ban ABS and anything else Foam Core for Exterior Sewer work.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good distinction. Lots of people refer to any drainage as sewer, but I thought the OP understood the distinction in the first post. And yes, 2ft out of the foot print of the building... and we argue back and forth whether the eaves/gutters are that footprint.

ABS used to be solid core when it was introduced. I don't recall when cellular core was introduced, but it was likely in the 70-80s. ABS solid core is currently available in the Seattle area to purchase. Most residential and commercial DWV in our area is Foam Core PVC or ABS. Foam core has been approved for underground / under slab for decades.. Only recently did our jurisdiction ban ABS and anything else Foam Core for Exterior Sewer work.
Wow thanks for clarifying I havent plumbed an entire house in 20 years but in those days from the 80s till 03 or so it was Sch 40 ABS foam core all the way to the lateral at the curb PVC was way cheaper but we are talking about 200 bucks in material or less and saving 40 bucks on What I thought was thin wall crap that isnt allowed to be used inside the building for reasons unknown but I assume clay pipe , orangeburg , and sdr 35 has a reason we cant use it inside I always assumed they were inferior to any sch 40 DWV pipe. DWV I thought a higher standard than sewer pipe and any dwv was legal for sewer but no sewer pipe would be allowed in place of DWV Pipe

granite55

Reaction score
Terminological note: a sewer is an underground drain pipe that is outside the footprint of the building (IIRC the demarcation point is 2' from the building). The underground drain pipe that is under the house slab is called the building drain, or it can be a branch drain if there are multiple underground branches.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks for clarification. My husband is the one with a better understanding of the terminology. He always put me to task to seek answers lol! Yes I think I was interested in both the sewer and the building drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks