Well house, all brand new. Water runs for about 2 minutes, then breaker trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephen Smith

Reaction score
To start , I just replaced the whole system. Water tank, Well Pump (old one lasted a year) Pump Switch, Breaker, and today, wiring 12-2 UF-B .

The reason, and this one is odd indeed, Anytime IT rained or snowed real hard, we would loose water for a few days after. Running a tester showed all was good, but no dice. It just wouldn't run. So, I got tired of it, grabbed a new 110 Well Pump , 1hp btw, and went to work. My reasoning , is that it still had to be a ground fault some place, that was killing the pump switch from working, even though, at this time, no breaker would trip.

So, Again, Brand new Pump, old one had silt like stuff all over it. Also had evidence of possibly running hot. Still thinking short with bad breaker at this point.

Ran the new line today , Everything runs great. New line from Pole to Pump Switch, and new line from pump switch to Pump (130' or so)

Runs wonderfully for about 2 minutes, then breaker trips. (New 30 amp breaker btw. Buy a second new breaker, just in case, same thing, runs 2 minutes, then trips.

For that two minutes, we have great water pressure, can run a hose, fill two toilets, and the sink. Then bam, shuts down.

I am at a complete Loss here friends, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Reach4

Reaction score
grabbed a new 110 Well Pump , 1hp btw
Do you have a model number for the new pump?

Ran the new line today , Everything runs great. New line from Pole to Pump Switch, and new line from pump switch to Pump (130' or so)
Can you measure the voltage across the two wires that go to the pump before the breaker trips?

Stephen Smith

Reaction score
I will do on the Voltage. Might be tomorrow before I can do that, though. My eyes are getting bad in my old age.

Model # MA0414X-7

Or the Hallmark Industries MA0414X-7 Deep Well Submersible Pump, 1 hp, 110V, 60 Hz, 33 GPM, 207' Head, Stainless Steel, 4".

And thank you so much Reach4 .

Reach4

Reaction score
1 hp 110 volt pumps are not usually done by the regular pump makers.

You may have to go to a bigger breaker. But a 40 amp breaker with 12 gauge wire is not so good either. You would be better with a 230 volt pump. How far down is your pump mounted?

The main reason I suggested that you check the voltage was to make sure you were not supplying 240 volts.

Stephen Smith

Reaction score
We are about 130-140 feet down with the pump, and You have given me an idea. I'm Thinking I am trying to push 240 on a 110. But what I can do, is move from the main pole, over to the secondary farm box, but a breaker in there, that I know would be 110. But for the time being, of course it is shut off till morning.

Sadly, a 240 pump is just financially out of the question at this time. Which is upsetting, as I do have an old control box from my brother in law already. I mean, we scrimped and looked in couch cushions for the 110 Pump, which was like $150.00 at Amazon.

But man, again, that would make so much sense, since we are running the dual 30 amp breaker off the main service pole, that it has been burning up our pumps, due to it being 240 on a 110 pump.

Let me get on that Voltage tomorrow morning, and It would be easy enough to try to wire it to a 110 breaker, on the other breaker box. I'll get back with you in the morning if that is ok, or of course you have another idea.

again, thank you so much for your help Reach4

Reach4

Reaction score
But man, again, that would make so much sense, since we are running the dual 30 amp breaker off the main service pole, that it has been burning up our pumps, due to it being 240 on a 110 pump.
When you run 110/115/120, you only use one pole of a breaker. If you have a 2-pole breaker, that supplies 240.

You would try just moving one of the hots to a neutral. Is one of the hots white? That would be the one to put on the neutral.

To make voltage measurements more relaxed, you can put an insulator between a pair of contact while the breaker is off. A bread clip is suitable, or you could take a slice from an old credit card. Then turn on the breaker, and measure the voltage at the pressure switch from the breaker . That voltage is typically between terminals 1 and 4 of the pressure switch. The pump is typically powered via terminals 2 and 3.

330px-White_bread_clip_on_cloth-_2013-07-03_21-35.JPG

Last edited:

Stephen Smith

Reaction score
Well crap, that is exactly what I have done. I had ran the black and white on the dual pole, instead of a single pole breaker. Man I'm an idiot. I can do that tomorrow. Man, thanks so much. I can't believe I made such a mistake like that. Thank you thank you thank you.

Hey, at the very least, I hope you can go back and tell your friends about the idiot old man in Oklahoma. LOL. Now that you said that, I know that is the problem and solution.

If your ever in OK, Come by the farm, and I'll grill you the biggest dead animal I can find , just for your help.

Stephen Smith

Reaction score
Reach4. Me and my family can not thank you enough man. I took out that double pole breaker, put in a single 20 amp, and bam we have had water for the last half hour, and it's still going. As soon as that hot water heater kicks in, we will have a whole family of okies who can finally stink pretty. You saved our butts man.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks