Water tank issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Unluckyhomeowner

Reaction score
Having problems with the water tank running out quickly. After feeling the temperature of the pipes, I suspect that the hot water is backing up through the cold water inlet and mixing on its way up. This is a new issue after having tank for 2 years. We did get the store to replace the tank, so that is ruled out. Any ideas? We have well water and pressure tank.

Unluckyhomeowner

Reaction score
763243FB-739F-4182-967E-D9CBB34218EF-min.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope thats not it . so it worked fine for 2 years . then it got a lack of hot water and you installed new water heater same problem? sounds like power issue

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
When you are getting low on hot water, is the hot water pipe at the water heater to hot to touch? It should be about 120º. Does the hot water seem fine for a few for awhile and then it cools down? Normally, when there seems not to be enough hot water, the lower heating element is not working with only the top element is. Only one element is on at a time. As the top of the water heater hits 120º, the upper thermostat switches power to the lower element. If the lower element is not working then you have lees than a 1/2 working tank. However having a new tank the problem is something else.
I suspect that the hot water is backing up through the cold water inlet and mixing on its way up..
Sorry, but this statement is not possible. New water heaters have heat traps that act like a check valve. Water is greatly restricted or not able to flow at all up the cold water pipe. What can happen with old water heaters the fill tube that brings cold water to the bottom of the tank breaks off. When hot water is drawn, cold water enters the top of the tank and is drawn up the hot water pipe cooling the water. This is not happening here.

Similar to what Breplum suggest. Turn off the cold water at all faucets including the washing machine. At the furthest sink, run the hot water until it is hot as expected from the WH. While the hot wate ris flowing open the cold water shut off and check if the hot water temperature changed. Do not open the cold water faucet. Do this at each fixture. Don't forget to do the same at the washing machine but all you need to do is just open the cold water shut off. Check the temperature at a near buy sink.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
old water heater worked perfect for 2 years had same exact problem. replaced water heater didnt help a thing.
Sure it could be the same symptoms back to back maybe one water heater had a bad element the other a bad t stat.
Nice to offer help to the guy but he probebly fixed it and wont bother with repling to those that offered help , many people are greatly appreciative of our efforts and some care less. I like to hear back on how they resolved it not so much a thanks but just to learn a bit and solve the mystery

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Prevost and the water tank has a small leak. Is there a potable water product that can be put in the tank to stop the leak. At this time I can’t see exactly where it is coming from.
. Why...
1. Why reply to an unrelated thread, rather than making a new post?
2. Are you really wanting a stop leak additive to stop a leak in a tank water heater? While adding egg whites might do it (sometimes used in a pinch for radiators), it would not be a good idea. Bacteria could feed on that.
3. Why indicate you are in Europe, when that could confuse somebody who tries to help you?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks