water leaking out through diverter (along handle)

Users who are viewing this thread

wp746911

Reaction score
I reinstalled a diverter stem and seat and the tub outlet works perfectly,but when I switch to the shower, lots of water comes out the shower head, none out the faucet, but a steady stream of water comes out at the diverter location (track along the diverter handle). I've studied the new diverter stem and seat, and I honestly can't figure out how the diverter could function in the 'shower' setting without allowing water to track out throught the diverter... It seems that in the shower setting, water is supposed to flow into the diverter and out those little holes then go up to the shower head. But looking at the diverter if this occurs, water also has access to the center of the diverter and can then track around the main stem screws and out the diverter..

Is there a fix for this or will the shower just squirt water at the diverter handle??

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

Diverters are not designed to leak around the stem. There is a seal or packing that prevents the leak. It either has to be tightened or replaced depending on the type of seal it is.

wp746911

Reaction score
thanks,
I looked closer at my valve and compared it with one at home depot. Evidently the new valve is either missing some packing or some washer or something. I will have to take it back to stanco on monday but I do think I have found my problem.