Two pressure switches on one system

Users who are viewing this thread

jbradley2093

Reaction score
I am working on a house with a old well that produces a great deal of sediment. This sediment and iron prematurely damaged the prior pressure tank and as a result and despite my explaining why it's dangerous to put a filter before the pressure switch, the owner had me install a10*4.5 sediment filter (25 micron) before the tank and switch (which was already installed.) The location of the filter is a good distance before the tank (it's in the house vs the tank in the crawlspace). He has been diligent about replacing the filter in a timely manner, but he is about to sell the home and wants to have me install a switch before the filter to kill the pump in the event it reaches a dangerously high pressure due to a dirty filter. Just in case the new owner is not as diligent. Relocating the switch from the tank to prior to the filter would be quite difficult, whereas a secondary shutoff switch would be very easy to install as the pump wiring junction box happens to be right under where I installed the filter.

The tank switch is 40/60. Is there a switch that anyone can recommend for this application without me relocating the primary switch?

Thank you in advance

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You would need a high pressure kill switch. That is one that shuts off on a set high pressure and will not let the pump come back on at a lower pressure as a normal pressure switch does. They use those on pivot sprinkler systems, I would check with one of those pivot sprinkler companies.

It would probably just be best to put a 75 PSI pressure relief valve before the filter instead.

But I always recommend pumping out the well first. There is usually very little left to filter once you get the well cleaned out. Most people just don't like wasting water. But you have to waste a lot of water to get a well cleaned up. By pumping the well hard for hours, days, even weeks if needed, the sediment that will come out is pumped out. The sediment that doesn't come out sticks in the cracks and fissures and becomes a sand media filter to keep sediment out of the well itself.

Iron is a different animal. But a pellet chlorinator or a device that aerates the water in the well like the Sulfur Eliminator can treat the problem at the source and keep from having to pump or deal with it on the surface.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks