Troubled TOTO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Plain Old Joe

Reaction score
I need 4 toilets for bathroom updates for family. Based on recommendations here, I’m looking at the new Drake (CST746). There is a strong preference here for the styled sleeker trapway treatment of this model, as well as the compact dimensions for an elongated bowl toilet. It looks really nice.

There aren’t a ton of reviews yet, but I am a little concerned by the number of negative reviews regarding bowl cleaning, smudging/streaking being the main complaint.

While looking at this toilet in the showroom of a large plumbing supply here, I was able to see this model along with its predecessor Drake (CST744 with G-Max). I was surprised when the sales guy said, “personally, I think you’ll be much happier with the older model. Get one while you still can.” This was in reference to flushing performance.

His suggestion has made me gun shy regarding the new Drake. Comments? Suggestions?

LeoD

Reaction score
I replaced a Kohler Wellworth 1/6 gpf with a TOTO .8/1.0 CST746 three months ago. I had originally planned on installing a Drake II, but our supply valve is on the floor and wouldn't clear the base of the Drake II. Terry suggested the CST746 might fit.

At the time the TOTO Gallery was the only place locally that had a CST746 on display so I went there to measure and be sure it fit. I'd read the same (very few) reviews you found, so I asked whether it was an issue. The reply was this model hadn't been out very long, but they hadn't had complaints. They also said the misting feature of a Washlet would help prevent anything from sticking to the bowl.

I already had a new bidet from another manufacturer, so I couldn't try out the misting, but I decided to go with the CST746 anyway.

So far I'm happy with it. It looks good in the bathroom and the washdown flush is quick and quiet. (There's no "gurgle" from the siphon breaking... because there's no siphon.) it flushes completely with a single flush and I've found even the .8 gpf is adequate with a moderate amount of solids. (With the bidet, there's little to no paper to flush, so that helps.)

I usually operate the bidet quickly in advance (~ 1 second) in lieu of a premist. I don't know if it helps, but streaking / spotting is less than the Wellworth, even though the Wellworth used twice the .8 gpf and had a much larger water spot. Maybe the Cefiontect helps with that. We haven't been able to discard the brush, but it does take less work to keep it clean.

The small water spot was a concern of mine, but it seems to be strategically placed, which helps.

The only negatives I have are small and just visuals. The join between the upper portion and the rest of the bowl wasn't blended as well as it might have been, so with the light from above there's a slight shadow where it's joined. That's probably just nitpicking, but it's such a well-balanced visual design, it would look great if it was completely smooth. (A little extra sponge work on the wet porcelain, during production, would have done it.) Also, I think the TOTO logo on the bowl is not completely straight. (The bidet covers it, so I don't remember for certain, and I guess I shouldn't be concerned!) Both tank and bowl were made in Mexico. TOTO says QC is the same for all of their facilities, but I have to wonder.

I have no experience with the old Drake, so I can't compare, but I have no regrets at all with the CST746. In fact I'm sort of happy the Drake II wouldn't work. Others' experiences are their own, and I'd imagine just as valid for them, so you'd have to get any dislikes firsthand.

Plain Old Joe

Reaction score
Thank you for the first-hand feedback, Leo. I'm glad you're happy with this model and its encouraging.

I also appreciate your comment on the aesthetics. I'm trying to please a somewhat fussy crowd---a crooked logo or poor finish anywhere will be noticed, perhaps more than an occasional smudge. I was a little put off by the way the lid sits on the Drake and a couple of other models I saw, in more than one showroom. The tank lid does not overlap, and unglazed edges were pretty much in plain sight on 2-3 models on the showroom floor, along with was a bit of a gap that I thought looked poor. The edges didn't align just right. As you say, the overall design is very nice...a little more attention to finish detail would make them look great. I didn't check for the country of manufacture---I've also wondered how TOTO maintains QC all over the world.

Thanks again for your reply.

Otearai

DIY Engineer
Reaction score
I need 4 toilets for bathroom updates for family. Based on recommendations here, I’m looking at the new Drake (CST746). There is a strong preference here for the styled sleeker trapway treatment of this model, as well as the compact dimensions for an elongated bowl toilet. It looks really nice.

There aren’t a ton of reviews yet, but I am a little concerned by the number of negative reviews regarding bowl cleaning, smudging/streaking being the main complaint.

While looking at this toilet in the showroom of a large plumbing supply here, I was able to see this model along with its predecessor Drake (CST744 with G-Max). I was surprised when the sales guy said, “personally, I think you’ll be much happier with the older model. Get one while you still can.” This was in reference to flushing performance.

His suggestion has made me gun shy regarding the new Drake. Comments? Suggestions?

You might want to look at my August 2019 review of the new Kohler Betello, and my 7-month update that I posted today, here:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/kohler-betello-toilet-new-model.82770/

There, on now-extensive experience with both, I compare the Kohler Betello with the Toto Vespin II, which has been among Toto's best flushing toilets for more than a decade; the Vespin II is effectively a skirted, therefore sleeker-looking, Toto Drake II.

As to toilet seats. you may want to look into the BATH ROYALE BR237-00 toilet seat (find it with a DuckDuckGo search).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks