Transient water hammer on one fixture only

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Our 2nd floor shower has intermittent/transient water hammer. It is the only fixture in the house that has it. It starts when the water is turned on, and the pipes rumble like mad. Sometimes it goes away on its own, sometimes you have to turn the water off and then back on again. Seems to happen mostly when the outside temperature is cold, but not 100% sure about that.

How can I diagnose and hopefully fix this problem?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water hammer occurs when you turn off a valve fast, it cannot happen while the valve is open. A chattering washer can create noise as water flows over it. My unprofessional opinion.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
noise

My thought is the same as Jim's.

The washer is loose or it's worn and the outer edge is feathered out, is thin and it flutters.

Sound may go away if faucet is full on.

You must know which faucet you are using, so pull it apart and put new washers on.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This is a shower valve, part of a tub/shower combination. I'll open up the escutcheon and see what's in there. I'm itching to demo/remodel the whole thing but budget restrictions will probably mean I only put in a new cartridge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks