TPR valve on water heaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Law3

Reaction score
Hello, I am a Home Inspector in the Houston TX area. I have a question about the TPR valve on water heaters. Does the T&P (Test and Pressure) valve on water heater need a 6 inch metal pipe lead-out immediately after the valve before being connected to CPVC pipe?
Is there a plumbing code for this?

GReynolds929

Reaction score
@Breplum is correct, I would add that the material used has to be approved for hot water distribution, and no restrictions to the ID (IE: PEX insert fittings).

Law3

Reaction score
@Breplum is correct, I would add that the material used has to be approved for hot water distribution, and no restrictions to the ID (IE: PEX insert fittings).
You bringing that up, we were taught that if you used PEX on the tpr valve, you would have to go one size up. But what about the copper corrugated tube. Would that be a smaller I D.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
I personally would not consider that restrictive. If an inspector is picky it might get called out.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Never decrease pipe size off a relief valve. Tp valve is set for 210° and or 150lbs.
Cpvc is rated to 200° i wouldn't want to be is the same room if the valve opened fully if there was a real problem. Metal threads to cpvc adapter is needed coming off tp valve all plastic fitting is rated to 150° if your going to use this plastic.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Hello, I am a Home Inspector in the Houston TX area. I have a question about the TPR valve on water heaters. Does the T&P (Test and Pressure) valve on water heater need a 6 inch metal pipe lead-out immediately after the valve before being connected to CPVC pipe?
Is there a plumbing code for this?

I was a federal low pressure boiler and unfired pressure vessel inspector for the postal service.

I went to OU for training ASME section IV and the NBBI codes and it was strongly suggested the T@P or relief or safety valves have a discharge pipe of either copper tubing or schedule 40 pipes with the ends cut in a 45 deg angle so no one could cap or reduce the the discharge pipe or add more fittings

I do not trust plastic as Fitter stated if the T&P discharges @210 deg it could cause a major problem

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks