Softener Tank Media Quanity

Users who are viewing this thread

Earnie

Reaction score
Can a .75 cubic foot softener tank hold 1.0 cubic feet of resin? If so, does this give the media enough room to expand when in regeneration?

Happy Labor Day!

Earnie

Earnie

Reaction score
Hello Any,

Thanks for the very fast reply.

The tank is .75 cubic feet (8"x44"). The installation company said it is filled with 1.0 cubic feet of resin.

I looked at the cost difference between .75 and 1.0 tanks and found around $10 - $20 difference so I'm not sure why they selected the .75. Unless it's a size they had available.

Hardness is 4.5 and iron is .5, however I do have a second .75cf tank for iron and sulphur. Valve is AutoTrol 255.

Earnie

Last edited:

Earnie

Reaction score
Andy,

Yes, iron/sulphur unit appears to be working ok but I have not re-tested to see the exact iron level. I notice no sulphur smell. Unit is the same as the softener, AutoTrol 255 with the 8x44 tank. I do not know what the media is in the tank.

Let's round up to five grains hardness and there are only two water users.

PH is 7.6. I have no numbers on total dissolved solids.

My biggest concern was if the .75 cf tank could actually hold 1.0cf which is what they claimed. I have no idea why they configured the system that way but will ask next time I talk to them. The company is a water quality only company and has been in business for many years. They have both commercial and residential customers so I suspect (?) the know something about water softeners.

Earnie

Earnie

Reaction score
Andy,

I have no idea on any of you questions Andy but I will ask the Co. the next time they visit which should be some time this week.

To be clear, the Co. rep stated that my tank was a "32k grain" tank. It wasn't till I visited some neighbors to look at their sytem that I started to question just what I had.

Thanks for you time and help,

Earnie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks