Salty water taste after regen 5600SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

Al Garrido

Reaction score
I’m replacing my seals because every time after the softener regenerates the water in the house is salty until I run the water for a minute or also.

I already purchased the seal kit and only now learned about the green piston for 5600sxt and white piston for the mechanical timer 5600.

Can I just reuse the old piston? Nothing apparently wrong with it as it looks perfectly fine, and there aren’t any rubber gaskets or o-rings on it to wear out.

Thank you in advance!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is this a new softener install or was the softener working correctly for some time with the salty water suddenly occuring?

Municipal (chlorinated) water or private well?

If the softener has been in use for some time and working properly with the saltiness suddenly occuring, then that will usually suggest rebuilding the valve will be necessary, as you are planning. If the softener is fairly new, or if there have been any programming changes recently made, resulting in additional water entering the brine tank, then the saltiness following regen maybe remidied by a programming adjustment.

Suggest posting the unit's current program settings in addition to the softener's total capacity if known, or measure the resin tank diameter and height if total capacity is not known. We will also need to know the water hardness and the softener's BLFC flow rate, normally indicated on a label located near to the brine tube connection on the valve. Also useful is usual soft water consumption which if not known, the number of residents so as to estimate water usage.

A White capped piston is specific to the mechanical 5600 valves whereas the Green cap is specific to downflow 5600 SXT and SE digital control models. If the (typically gray) coating on the exsisting piston is intact (no missing or scratches), then it usually can be reused.

When rebuilding a valve, a food grade silicone lubricant such as Dow Release compound will be needed. If you purchased a Fleck 5600SXT rebuild kit, lubricant should have been included.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I’m replacing my seals because every time after the softener regenerates the water in the house is salty until I run the water for a minute or also.
Suggest posting the unit's current program settings in addition to the softener's total capacity if known, or measure the resin tank diameter and height if total capacity is not known.
We also want to know the color of the injector parts. There are two parts that I think are the same color. With a brown or violet injector, you would want to increase the BD time beyond the common 60 minutes. You did clean the injector and injector screen I hope.

Was the softening working as expected other than the residual salt? By working, I mean reducing the hardness to 1 grain or less during the expected period.

Al Garrido

Reaction score
I'd have to get my numbers later since I'm not at the softener today or tomorrow.

The valve/softner is about 5 years old. (well water)

I had received input on appropriate numbers from this forum a while ago after wife noticed that we were at times feeling the hard water and this forum helped me figure out my settings were wrong.....we were running out of soft water well before unit would regen.
After getting those numbers from this forum (thank you!), everything was working perfectly and I had my water tested (twice to be sure) and lady said I had "great water".

I also tested the water about 6 month ago (no reason...just nothing better to do and it was perfect as expected).

I've made no changes to the unit at all...nothing has changed in the house. I monitor the salt tank regularly and nothing abnormal there...makes sure that it is not "cresting".

Just one morning 3 months ago, woke up and there was salty water...ran the faucet for a minute or so to clear out. Thought that was the end of it but now it happens every time it regen's (approx every 7-10 days...depending on how many kids are home!). I simply run faucet and water is back to normal.

PS I did check to make sure drain line is not clogged....and it is now...water drains as always when it regens.

From above answer, seems I can just reuse the Piston which I will do.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could just increase BD time to extend the slow rinse that removes the salt. But if you did not clean the injector and screen, I would do that. That is a separate cover on the right side near the brine line, and does not involve getting into the seals.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks