Quick disconnect for dual 40A, 220V Tankless system.

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckB

Reaction score
Since the tankless water heater is in a different room away/out of sight from the main breaker panel, I need to install a quick disconnect next to the tankless water heater. Do I need to break all four 110V connections or just one each on both 220 volt circuits? Thanks in advance.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Yes have kill all four. Never seen a tankless needing 40 amps with four circuits. Rotary switch might be the easiest. 4 pole 40 amp switch in a enclosure.

ChuckB

Reaction score
Yes have kill all four. Never seen a tankless needing 40 amps with four circuits. Rotary switch might be the easiest. 4 pole 40 amp switch in a enclosure.

Thanks, I have searched all over and cannot find a four pole disconnect. That is why I was thinking only a two pole quick disconnect was needed. Does anyone have a model number for a 4 pole quick disconnect that will work?

RHEEM.jpg

ChuckB

Reaction score

It's across the pond couldn't find one a decent price here. It's 60 amp since code wants 20% over amps.
Thanks again.

I researched the electrical code. I misunderstood the requirement of a quick disconnect. I assumed it was to turn off the tankless heater in case of an emergency. The real purpose of a quick disconnect being right next to the tankless heater is to make sure that a technician working on the water heater does not have to worry about being shocked by someone else turning the electricity back on at the main breaker panel. A simple solution to satisfy the code requirements is to make the main breaker panel lockable. A much easier solution for sure!