PVC Glue Primer Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to be doing my 4" PVC sewer laterals and internal 3" plumbing + fixtures. I need to buy some PVC primer and cement. There seem to be several brands and types (Oatey, Christy's, Weld-On). Can a pro recommend what I should buy? There is light duty, medium duty and heavy duty... Here's a link:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/PVC-Glue-Primer-s/161.htm

I just want to buy the right products (primer + glue) in the right quantity.

Thanks,

jb9

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to be doing my 4" PVC sewer laterals and internal 3" plumbing + fixtures. I need to buy some PVC primer and cement. There seem to be several brands and types (Oatey, Christy's, Weld-On). Can a pro recommend what I should buy? There is light duty, medium duty and heavy duty... Here's a link:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/PVC-Glue-Primer-s/161.htm

I just want to buy the right products (primer + glue) in the right quantity.

Thanks,

jb9

I am no pro, But a very good procrastinator.

The best primer and glue to use is what melts the type of PVC that you use.

Be quick when making your connections. Drink a beer and wait for it to set and melt together.

Have Fun.

index.php

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I avoid using primer every chance I get. It's 100% bullshit. When I glue up a fitting I use medium-body PVC cement. I dip the dauber into the can and slather the pipe and the fitting round and round three times and stick them together with a twist. I see the glue melt away the lettering on the pipe and I know it's melting the surface of the pipe. If I put purple primer on the pipe and fitting before I apply the glue, I get nothing. I should be seeing purple. I don't. It's almost like the primer seals the pvc from melting. It's a ploy to promote sales. Sorry to pop your bubble.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the primer comes in clear and purple...some inspectors really want to see you use purple, then they can tell that you actually used it. Primer does two things...cleans the pipe, and then etches and softens the pipe so that the cement works better. They both will melt the plastic, but you'll get a stronger joint if you use the primer properly.

Short term, straight cement is stronger...long term, the primed joint is stronger IF you apply things properly. The primer must still be wet when you apply the cement. Because the primer slightly softens the pipe, you may need to hold the joint together a bit longer before it stabilizes after adding the cement and inserting the pipe. You need to allow enough of the solvents to evaporate for things to become stable.

If the job is going to be inspected, not using a visible primer may cause it to fail.

DonL

Reaction score
Primer does two things...cleans the pipe, and then etches and softens the pipe so that the cement works better. They both will melt the plastic, but you'll get a stronger joint if you use the primer properly.

It does a third thing too.

If you get it on your fingers you can tell that you used it for a very long time. :eek:

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I avoid using primer every chance I get. It's 100% bullshit. When I glue up a fitting I use medium-body PVC cement. I dip the dauber into the can and slather the pipe and the fitting round and round three times and stick them together with a twist. I see the glue melt away the lettering on the pipe and I know it's melting the surface of the pipe. If I put purple primer on the pipe and fitting before I apply the glue, I get nothing. I should be seeing purple. I don't. It's almost like the primer seals the pvc from melting. It's a ploy to promote sales. Sorry to pop your bubble.

PRIMER IS REQUIRED BY CODE. You can't just NOT use it.
When you buy a new piece of PVC, you'll notice there is a glossy look at feel to the pipe. The reason for this is because the manufacturers sprays their product with a dusting of lacquer before it leaves the factory. Yes, Primer is good for cleaning the end of your pipe. But more importantly, the purpose of primer is to dissolve/clean away that light layer of lacquer. If you skip that step, you're glue joints will not solvent-weld properly because you have a layer of lacquer between the two surfaces.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW, the primer comes in clear and purple...some inspectors really want to see you use purple, then they can tell that you actually used it. Primer does two things...cleans the pipe, and then etches and softens the pipe so that the cement works better. They both will melt the plastic, but you'll get a stronger joint if you use the primer properly.

Short term, straight cement is stronger...long term, the primed joint is stronger IF you apply things properly. The primer must still be wet when you apply the cement. Because the primer slightly softens the pipe, you may need to hold the joint together a bit longer before it stabilizes after adding the cement and inserting the pipe. You need to allow enough of the solvents to evaporate for things to become stable.

If the job is going to be inspected, not using a visible primer may cause it to fail.
Good post, very sensible.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
PRIMER IS REQUIRED BY CODE. You can't just NOT use it.
When you buy a new piece of PVC, you'll notice there is a glossy look at feel to the pipe. The reason for this is because the manufacturers sprays their product with a dusting of lacquer before it leaves the factory. Yes, Primer is good for cleaning the end of your pipe. But more importantly, the purpose of primer is to dissolve/clean away that light layer of lacquer. If you skip that step, you're glue joints will not solvent-weld properly because you have a layer of lacquer between the two surfaces.
Could you give me a list of all the cities, counties, and municipalities that require the purple smudge on DWV pipe connections?

Also, if all the unprimed connections I've done in the last 30 years suddenly broke loose at the same time, the Chattahoochee River would have to be renamed S*** Creek.

My joints are strong and they are good.

I find your avatar to be a bit scary.

Last edited:

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could you give me a list of all the cities, counties, and municipalities that require the purple smudge on DWV pipe connections?

Also, if all the unprimed connections I've done in the last 30 years suddenly broke loose at the same time, the Chattahoochee River would have to be renamed S*** Creek.

My joints are strong and they are good.

I find your avatar to be a bit scary.

We've all glued joints without primer. But there is a reason the primer is required. It's not a conspiracy to dig a few more dollars out of your wallet. I would strongly encourage you to use primer. If for no other reason, if one of those joints did pop apart, your insurance company could deny your insurance claim based on improper installation.

DonL

Reaction score
We've all glued joints without primer. But there is a reason the primer is required. It's not a conspiracy to dig a few more dollars out of your wallet. I would strongly encourage you to use primer. If for no other reason, if one of those joints did pop apart, your insurance company could deny your insurance claim based on improper installation.

You should never make a joint with glued paper. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks