Preferred P-Trap setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbIt

Reaction score
Have trap adapter at wall. Need a 45 elbow to align P-Trap with disposal. Here are the options - which is best:

1. Trap Adapter - ABS Female NPT to Glue - ABS Straight Glue - ABS 45 Elbow Glue - Charlotte P-Trap w/ glued trap arm and slip compression at trap.

2. Trap Adapter - ABS Female NPT to Glue - ABS Straight Glue - ABS 45 Elbow Glue - ABS Straight Glue - ABS Trap Adapter - Poly plastic P-Trap.

Number 2 is basically extending the trap adapter so that a ploy plastic P-Trap can be used. It seems that both will work. Which do you prefer? That Charlotte P-Trap is more sturdy, but less common and has the disadvantage of a glued trap arm. The PP P-trap is less sturdy but can be easily replaced and is much more commonly found.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Grenolds said also the type trap will be a tubular style , depending on location the street 45 might need a regular 45 w piece of pipe if its too far from where its going

PlumbIt

Reaction score
As Grenolds said also the type trap will be a tubular style , depending on location the street 45 might need a regular 45 w piece of pipe if its too far from where its going
Tubular. But tubular ABS, or Tubular Polypropylene plastic? Or maybe it doesn't matter.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Why cut? Why not screw on a female NPT to Glue on to the existing trap adapter, and then glue in a 45 to an additional Trap Adapter?
Fewer connections and parts to leak. Simpler and keeps from possibly becoming to long. It's redundant with multiple threaded connections. PP trap is preferred.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The trap adapter isnt really designed as a true male adapter thats why its called a trap adapter. With a little checking it might technicly be a illegal connection they only have a few threads probebly are not tapered threads etc etc . but its been done a million times im sure we are talking best way right?

PlumbIt

Reaction score
The trap adapter isnt really designed as a true male adapter thats why its called a trap adapter. With a little checking it might technicly be a illegal connection they only have a few threads probebly are not tapered threads etc etc . but its been done a million times im sure we are talking best way right?
I've checked it out and actually there are many "extra" threads. The tapered NPT makes it tight. Dry fit connection with a female is very solid. As far as I could tell, there was no problem with a threaded offset to a new male trap adapter. So I glued it up. It's very solid. Admittedly, it's not the intended use. Charlotte does not have a list of approved uses for their fittings. They assume that the name "trap adapter" is self explanatory. I like this - less cutting. And if the AHJ does not call it out (he/she likely won't even notice), then it will stay and last decades I bet. When it fails, no cutting necessary.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks