Powered Anode Rod - How do you know it's working

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Smelly water aside, what if one doesn't have smelly water.
With a regular rod, you can at least see the rod corrode.
With a powered rod, do you just have to -trust- that it's working and doing it's job.

Chefwong

Reaction score
That is exactly the one I plan to buy if I do decide it. I like that it has a -alarm-
But short of putting one one, taking a cutaway at the tank in year 5 or 6 ----to see if it's actually working as intended, this is all foreign to me on whether one should just -trust- it's working...

If I had smelly water and then it stopped, I suppose that is one indicator...which I don't
Hence the OP. With a traditional rod, once can least see diminishing of the rod

Reach4

Reaction score
Measured from the water tank metal, I expect to have 0 volts on one terminal, and a negative voltage from maybe -300mv to -1500mv. I will be interested in what you measure.

I have various notes. Powered Anode, Shielded,.118 Diameter X 31.5
SKU: 100111286 AO Smith is the longest I have seen for that. I think a longer anode is good in a highboy water heater.

I find it confusing as to what is just the electrode, what is just the power supply, and what is a combination. Here are my current notes, and I would like to see what you find:
=========================================================

100305721 A.O. Smith Product PreserversT Powered Anode Rod System
about 22 inch tip to electrode in, so about 20 inch elecrode?

A.O. SMITH 9006247005 Kit Powered Anode
Mfr # 9006247005 13.78 length, so zoro offering not interesting to me.
$232.57

Electronic Anode, Short
Brand:
AO Smith
SKU:
100111024 REPLACEMENT SH

$163

about 19 inch probe

Kit #100305721 for 30-70 gallon water heaters (SH $162)
Kit #100324744 for 75-120 gallon water heaters
Differ in impressed current, or probe??

-----------------------------------------------------------
Powered Anode, Shielded,.118 Diameter X 31.5
SKU: 100111286 AO Smith CURRENT LIKE!

https://www.hotwater.com/lit/spec/com_accessories/apcpp18003.pdf (19+ inch)
https://www.hotwater.com/lit/brochures/apcpp18002.pdf brochure overall
#100324744 is supposedly for bigger

https://www.gsistore.com/products/lochinvar-a-o-smith-100305721 shows power supply and more.

==================================================================

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You pull out our and check it. If a "skin" has formed on the outside of it is not working. If it's being slowly eaten it's working

Chefwong

Reaction score
Reach . It's arriving Friday. Might deal with it now or just another day.
Still got more reading to do on these days. Back to the OP. With a traditional rod, I can see it corroding.
Right now, just short of all good reviews I've read on it (too bad I don't have smelly water to see if that works), I just need some more WIKI to know putting it one, it's doing it's *job*.

In relevant topics that pull up on the forum, this one pulled up

Powered anode rod gives this user smelly water . No clue whether or not it is -protecting- the tank however.
Hence, I need to do more - reading

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Rod Arrived. Paging Reach. Did you have the Cerro or AO one.
I just had to google images to compare as the AO threw me for a slight curveball. The pics of the Cerro seen to be solid rod and *touted as titanium*

The AO one I received appears to be a rod that is 3 pieces - spot welded together.
I would obviously prefer the single piece vs the spot welded joined one...

Chefwong

Reaction score
No. AFAIk I can see.

Sometimes pics are misleading but a quick YouTube to see real life differences in rod construction.
The Corro one appears to be single uniform and easily 12X in overall width compared to the AO which would be the thickness of a large paper clip

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
"easily 12X in overall width compared to the AO which would be the thickness of a large paper clip"
12X does not mean much to you. Does X= 1 inch?

I suspect what you call width, most would call length. Large paper clip? You have a tape measure. This would be a good time to use it.

Chefwong

Reaction score

Chefwong

Reaction score
Nothing special . Just a wall wart - Output 12V 1AH
The control box has not markings. Just green for good, 1 blinking red for X status, etc

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Nothing special . Just a wall wart - Output 12V 1AH
The control box has not markings. Just green for good, 1 blinking red for X status, etc
I had been presuming the wall wart outputs DC rather than AC, so the polarity would matter. The probe may have the rectification and control circuitry built into the top of the electrode unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks