Popping Sound Coming from Ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

rkate

Reaction score
Hello! I am not sure if this would be the right place to post about this, so I apologize if it is not. I have had no luck with Reddit, so I was hoping to get advice elsewhere.

I live in a studio apartment complex in Upstate NY that is made up of renovated motel rooms. The apartments are old, so there’s always some creaking and such, but recently there has been this sound that seems to be coming from the ceiling in my kitchen that has been keeping me up during the night. For reference, the motel buildings are two levels, so I have an upstairs neighbor whose apartment is basically identical to mine.

I only started noticing this once winter hit, so I assumed it has something to do with everyone’s heat being on in the complex. However, it just seems like it’s getting worse and louder as the days go on.

It is always a loud popping/creaking sound that comes in waves and different speeds. Sometimes it is one pop after another, and sometimes they are more spread out. But it’s happening literally all the time—night and day.

A family member said it sounds like there might be air in my pipes? Could anyone confirm or deny this and give a little advice on how I should proceed? Also, I’m wondering if this is something my landlord will be responsible for fixing or if they’re not going to be able to do much about it?

I’ve been sleeping with ear plugs in recently to try and drown out some of the noise, but I’m really getting sick of it and want to get some advice on what it could be so I can approach my landlord with it.

Thank you so much!

Here is a link with the sound—I hope it works:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lhZxcMOV6ZF_LGkzxb2fXPaAgnGB6Oc3/view?usp=drivesdk

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks