Pipe Dope, Plumbers Putty, or Teflon Tape?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I sent an email to brasscraft for an explanation as to why they don't like tape but will accept dope or oil.

Their response:
Per our engineering team,

Tape can interfere with getting a seal if that gets between the sealing surfaces. We recommend the use of oil or thread sealant. Not tape.

So long as you keep the tape out of the sealing surface then it acts just like dope or oil on the threads.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agreed, but to me it seems simpler and safer to use a lubricant/non-sealant, rather than a lubricant/sealant. As the sealant aspect on the threads is strictly a negative, and you have to be careful to keep it off the ferrule.

It would be interesting when installing multiple valves to do some with dry threads, and some with just a drop of oil, and compare the torque required in each case for Brasscraft's spec of "3/4 turn pass hand tight," as well as observing whether that "hand tight" is the same engagement with and without oil.

If the torque required dry isn't excessive, that's certainly the simplest option, to use nothing on the threads.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
compression ring
That is what they are calling the ferrule. AKA "compression sleeve".

I wonder what causes their objection to the pipe dope on the ferrule/olive.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dont use tape on a compression joint or on a flare joint like gas connection etc. On compression I ALWAYS put a small amount of pipe dope on the the angles stop threads not even all the way around it nessesarily but just to lube the threads a very small amount when it is chrome plated the threads sort of gall ,squeak , and sometimes leak if they are brass not so much problem. oil might work but I dont like oil because it unless you have the right kind it might not lube properly if anyone has ever tried threading pipe with motor oil in a pinch it dosent work good, threads come out all tore up Ive used pipe dope and its better than motor oil its a mess but if using hand dyes with no cutting oil you gotta gettr done . When I started plumbing on new homes and we had many drips under anglestops they were tight as heck but no dope on them. Ive nevere heard of oil on the threads but if any one has done hundreds or thousands with good luck please comment if you are a beliver in oil.,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks