Navien NPE-240A - Temperature Fluctuations

Users who are viewing this thread

TheBigYahi

Reaction score
Just chiming in that I have this same issue at exactly 1 GPM but only after it comes down from a higher flow (like the tub spout is going at 4 GPM before pulling the shower diverter). I keep my set point at 140F and have thermostatic valves at each point of use, but get to have very hot water for dishes and laundry. This makes my shower blend about 50/50 hot to cold.

I watched it tonight and the unit ends up in a loop where the temp is too high (from the flow decreasing after high throttle), so it throttles down. But then before it gets back to the set point the throttle comes back up too fast to meet it so the temp starts going up and it starts the internal recirc pump to avoid scalding. Rinse and repeat, so to say.

It does NOT do this if going directly to 1 GPM from off, and it does NOT do this at other low flow rates coming down from high (like to 0.8 or 1.2). I’m pretty sure this is a control system error, and unless they start shipping firmware updates, best to set your temp to avoid 1 GPM during your shower.

emnamay

Reaction score
Thank you so much!!! Navien wouldn't talk to me, so I had to call a plumber. The plumber sat on HOLD with Navien for more than an hour and a half and went from number 39 in the queue to number 20 in the queue. I made them leave before they could charge me for another hour. After watching your video, I took out the check valve, cleaned it, and smeared a light coating of silicone grease on the inside O-ring, and it's working beautifully again! You are a life saver!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks