Kohler Tea for Two Motor Hum, Controls won't turn off

Users who are viewing this thread

gadgetnut

Reaction score
Hello, all. My Kohler Tea for Two whirlpool was installed in 2013. Recently I accidentally turned on the pump with the tub 2/3 full, water level not quite up to the water sensor. I seem to remember the tub is supposed to have an interlock, not allowing the pump to be turned on until sufficient fill level. I heard a hum and immediately turned off the pump. I left the room and came back a few minutes later when the tub would be finished filling. I smelled a slight burning smell and heard a hum and found the spa control lights on, even though I had turned everything off a few minutes earlier. I turned off the circuit breaker.

A few days later. With the tub full of water, I turned on the circuit breaker and even before turning the spa on, the control lights are on and you hear a hum. No pump action, no air bubbles. The control dial is illuminated and I can select different functions but nothing responds. The power off button also does not reliably turn off the noise. The hum will stop and come right back on again.

In past years I briefly experienced intermittent odd control functions but nothing like this and the tub had been operating normally for the last few years. At this point, does this sound like control board failure and pump failure? How do I identify and order compatible replacement parts, do I search for the model number printed on the current control board and the pump(s)? Would you start with control replacement, pump replacement or both? Here's a link to a short video that shows the sights and sounds of what is happening. Thank you for any help you can lend.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Model number side of pump. Possibly that if pump failed and welded the contacts together might need a pump and control. Need to do some investigating with volt meter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks