Inrush Question: Shallow well jet vs deep well submersible pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

RGS

Reaction score
I've been getting water from a spring via a brook for years with a 1/2 HP shallow well jet pump. Now having to drill a well and switch to a 1/2 deep well jet pump. Depth will probably be about 140'. I'm wondering if there will be much difference between the shallow well and the deep well pumps as I have a Yamaha 3000w inverter generator and wondering if it will be able to handle the load. I believe the pump that's coming is a Grundfos SQ series but not sure yet if it's 120v version yet.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Why not consider a submersible? They are much more efficient and they soft start due to the long wire.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your SQ pump is not a jet pump. It is submersible, which is good.

Expect the SQ pump to be more generator-friendly than a jet pump.

Despite the SQ having a slow start feature, I think it is still going to get going faster than a jet pump. Usually with a submersible, you set the air precharge to 2 psi below the cut-in pressure. Should that maybe lowered a tad for an SQ pump? If your pressure switch does not have a lever, then the symptom of your air precharge being a bit high would be a hesitation/stutter when the switch kicks on -- not a big deal.

Incidentally, if your well is 4 inch or bigger, I would consider adding a flow inducer sleeve to the pump. If you want more info, say so. The SQ pumps are 2.9 inch OD.

The SQ pump is going to be a better choice than the more expensive SQE pump.

If you want a 120 volt pump, tell your well driller ASAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: RGS

RGS

Reaction score
Your SQ pump is not a jet pump. It is submersible, which is good.

Expect the SQ pump to be more generator-friendly than a jet pump.

Despite the SQ having a slow start feature, I think it is still going to get going faster than a jet pump. Usually with a submersible, you set the air precharge to 2 psi below the cut-in pressure. Should that maybe lowered a tad for an SQ pump? If your pressure switch does not have a lever, then the symptom of your air precharge being a bit high would be a hesitation/stutter when the switch kicks on -- not a big deal.

Incidentally, if your well is 4 inch or bigger, I would consider adding a flow inducer sleeve to the pump. If you want more info, say so. The SQ pumps are 2.9 inch OD.

The SQ pump is going to be a better choice than the more expensive SQE pump.

If you want a 120 volt pump, tell your well driller ASAP.
Thanks very much, Reach4. Very helpful. Re the well width, the quote says they will use 6" casing.

RGS

Reaction score

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There really is no delay in water supply from a jet pump starting, as long as it maintains prime. But the submersible SQ takes a full 5 seconds to get up to speed. Depending on the size of tank you may need 10 PSI less air charge in the tank than the start pressure of the pump. I also think the SQ motor has some way of circulating the fluid inside it, which lessens the need for a flow inducer. But I am not certain of this and a flow inducer never hurts. :)

Flow Inducer Installation.jpg

RGS

Reaction score
There really is no delay in water supply from a jet pump starting, as long as it maintains prime. But the submersible SQ takes a full 5 seconds to get up to speed. Depending on the size of tank you may need 10 PSI less air charge in the tank than the start pressure of the pump. I also think the SQ motor has some way of circulating the fluid inside it, which lessens the need for a flow inducer. But I am not certain of this and a flow inducer never hurts. :)

View attachment 98053
Thanks Valveman. Very interesting.

Reach4

Reaction score
for 3 inch for SQ pump
3-inch pvc solid sched 40 would work, but is thicker than needed.

ASTM 2949 appears to be 3.25 OD, and Fernco seems to call it thinwall.

pvc solid sched 30 od:3.25 ID: 3.00 min wall 0.125 ("thin wall")
D2729 Charlotte part PVC 30030 od:3.25 min wall 0.070

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks