How to get 3" fittings installed with minimal movement available?

Users who are viewing this thread

MrHappy

Reaction score
I was able to get everything in this main stack dry fitted perfectly, but then I started gluing all together from the top down which I realize was a bad choice since I now have no movement available to slip on the last 3" wye. How do I go about fixing this? I am ok cutting further down on the stack, or anywhere else as needed.

I see other posts where 2x shielded couplers are recommended like this thread here: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....vc-pipe-into-two-fixed-fitting-advice.104165/ Am I able to do the same with a 3007-33 even though there is a place for the pvc/copper to "bottom out" inside the coupling?

Attachments

• PXL_20230518_181734068.jpg
    PXL_20230518_181734068.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20230518_181401577.jpg
    PXL_20230518_181401577.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, installing shielded couplings can allow you to insert fittings into a stack that won't move.

The couplers are installed on one side of each end of the pipe and folded over on themselves. Then the new section of pipe/fitting is inserted and the coupler folded up over the new section. If theres room, the stainless sleeves are loosely installed above and below those fittings and slid into place or the worm drives opened all the way and then closed up again upon final installation. Just be careful to lap the ends properly and start the worm drives in by hand till they are fully engaged or they get cross threaded.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
One additional comment: the shielded couplings shown have a stop in the middle which IIRC is 1/8" thick. So for the last piece of pipe, if you measure the vertical distance between the bottom of the PVC and the top of the copper, cut your PVC pipe segment 3/8" shorter than that measurement. That's 1/8" for each stop, plus an 1/8" of wiggle room, which you'll need because even when folded back on itself the rubber coupling extends slightly beyond the stop.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks