Holding prime in drain back system

Users who are viewing this thread

Toddmpa

Reaction score
Hi. I'm working on a drain back system that will move heat from an 80 gal solar hot water tank to a 200 gal heat storage tank. An overview first: A wood stove boiler heats the storage tank through a copper coil HX; the tank heats radiant floors through a second copper coil HX. The solar tank has two coils as well, and sits directly above the storage tank so a drain back system is pretty straightforward: move storage water through the upper coil of the solar tank. The solar hot water is oversized for the shoulder seasons, so connecting the two should give me a few extra weeks of sofa time.
Except .... There's no room to install the pump within the water level of the lower tank, and installing a foot valve is no walk in the park either. Will the system hold prime with a check valve mounted above the pump and situated about 30 inches over the bottom tank water level? Will I need an antisiphon valve as well?
The system will have about 12 feet of head through 1 inch copper and a half-inch HX coil. I have a new but outdated circulator, a 20-42 Grundfos which I don't believe has an internal check valve.
Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks