Help Needed (Water draining out of tub slowly through outer plate of tub shoe)

Users who are viewing this thread

singer4ever7

Reaction score
Hello! Home improvement girl here! I need some help. I recently renovated my guest bath - I resurfaced the tub with Rust Oleum tub and tile. To my horror it was so strong (I thought it was the odorless one I bought) and I dropped it lol) so I accidentally got some in the drain. Thankfully that didn't hinder any functionality of the tub. I took out the super old drain that no longer had a top and bought a new one. Upon installation using plumbers putty and putting it in tight, it seems to hold the water for a bath for awhile. I left it in there and came back a couple hours later the amount I had in there to test was slowly draining. I tested a very small amount and watched it slowly drain and it was draining out from the outer edge of the plate on the drain shoe. It is flush with the tub. Should I be using something other than putty like silicone? I attached some photos - please note I've since taken it out, I just lightly stuck in drain hole to point to what I was referring to on where the water was draining out. Thank you!!!!!

Attachments

• drain 5.jpg
    drain 5.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 20
  • drain 6.jpg
    drain 6.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 30
  • drain4.jpg
    drain4.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 11.15.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 11.15.35 PM.png
    435.8 KB · Views: 23

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Plumbers putty whether non-staining or standard is all one normally needs when installing trim using a drain tightening dumbell tool and wrench. The rubber washer on the underside could be worn/deteriorated...

singer4ever7

Reaction score
Plumbers putty whether non-staining or standard is all one normally needs when installing trim using a drain tightening dumbell tool and wrench. The rubber washer on the underside could be worn/deteriorated...
Thank you for your response. This is my first time doing this so forgive me if this is a dumb question - Could the paint I accidentally got on the inside of the drain threads affect how the new drain shoe is installed/sealed? And how is the rubber washer on the underside affecting the way the water in my tub is draining out? (though it looks flush I can see the water seeping through the edges of the plate, as though there's not enough seal between plate and tub)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks