Garden hose galvanic corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
(Tagging you here @quarterball since I'll be purchasing one of your sillcocks.)

I was wondering what you (and anybody else) thought about connecting a garden hose that has aluminum fittings to a brass sillcock. I was concerned about galvanic corrosion so I think to avoid that problem I'll install an all plastic shut off valve in between the sillcock and the hose.

I've been tearing out my hair trying to find a decent garden hose (will be used to water plants and to wash my cars, no pools, not for drinking) and am leaning towards the Stanely FatMax hose. That hose comes with titanium coated aluminum fittings which plenty of people have complained fused to their sillcocks because they didn't have a plastic break.
tearhairout.gif

Here's the part I was thinking about getting but I'd really like to not reduce the flow any more than necessary.

Here's a pic of a review online complaining about the corrosion.

e8XZxM.jpg

Here's another one.

fE0nij.jpg

I kind of wish there was just a simple female garden hose thread x male garden hose thread (FGHT x MGHT) nipple made of ABS or PVC but I haven't been able to find one. Does anybody even know if this will stop the galvanic corrosion or will it just slow it down?

Thanks in advance.

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Well I ended up buying two 14" Quarter-Ball sillcocks for $75 shipped on supplyhouse.com. Thanks to @quarterball for calling me back and answering a few questions.

Used 3/4 FPT x sharkbite to pex to sharkbite 3/4 coupling to copper for the front spigot.

2019-05-03 11.33.38.jpg

Here's the sillcock for the rear. Same 3/4 FPT x sharkbite to pex.

2019-05-03 12.14.13.jpg

Teed into existing 3/4 pex trunk off of 1" pex main. Only problem is this water is filtered whereas the front spigot is not. I didn't feel like spending more money to buy more 3/4 pex and run it all the way across the front of the house. I rarely use the rear spigot so it's there as a just-in-case spare.
2019-05-03 12.14.21.jpg

Since I have mini-split Mitsubishi electric heat pumps for heat the basement is not heated. Being in NY it gets about 40-45 in the winter so I put some Great Stuff in the holes in the wall of the sillcock and covered with foam insulation.

2019-05-03 12.26.05.jpg

I have a drain and shut off for the front (shutoff only for the rear for now) so it will be empty of water in the winter time.

2019-05-03 12.26.07.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks