pex A conection to hose sillcock

Users who are viewing this thread

Acordeon

Reaction score
I want to replace a busted copper pipe feeding a hose bib with pex A feeding a new freeze-resistant sillcock. Goal is better freeze resistance in the whole line. The problem is that none of my local stores carry sillcocks with a pex A (expansion-type) fitting on the end, only ones made for pex B (like this one). I'm trying to get this done ASAP, and don't want to wait for mail ordering a sillcock.

If I don't do that, what's the lesser of these evils?

a) switch to pex B (even though it's less resistant to freeze damage, and I already have a length of pex A I was gonna use)

b) use a threaded sillcock (something like this) and thread on a pex A adapter (like this one).

c) use a sillcock with a sharkbite fitting (like this one)

Or is there some other solution I'm not thinking of?

Note that I do not solder and don't intend to learn, so if I went with (b) I would just thread it on real tight with teflon tape and hope for the best. I'm guessing that if I did that it would be the most likely point of failure, but maybe it's OK?

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You can use non-expansion fittings with PEX A. But then use a clamp or crimp as you would with PEX B. That takes a tool and stuff.

Alternatively, you could use a small worm gear radiator clamp. Not what the intention is, but I think it would probably work. Probably.

Acordeon

Reaction score
You can use non-expansion fittings with PEX A. But then use a clamp or crimp as you would with PEX B. That takes a tool and stuff.

Alternatively, you could use a small worm gear radiator clamp. Not what the intention is, but I think it would probably work. Probably.

Ah, didn't realize you could crimp pex A! I assume you think that would be more secure than using the threaded adapter.

I rented an expansion tool but don't have a crimper, so it would be a bit of a bummer. But want to do it right.

Eman85

Reaction score
All of my frost proof sillcocks have threaded on fittings to PEX. In my case I use PEX B with either crimp or cinch rings. No problems with any, I use tape and pipe dope.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ah, didn't realize you could crimp pex A! I assume you think that would be more secure than using the threaded adapter.
I think it could be easier, and avoid a leak. But I agree that with dope and tape and torque, the threaded adapter should be leak-free too.

Acordeon

Reaction score
All of my frost proof sillcocks have threaded on fittings to PEX. In my case I use PEX B with either crimp or cinch rings. No problems with any, I use tape and pipe dope.

Ah, great. Can I ask how long you've had those installed?

I didn't know it was a thing to use both dope AND tape. I assume you apply tape first, then dope?

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber.

A few thoughts.

Not all manufacturers allow Pex A to be crimped. If you decide to go that route, check the technical data to verify yours does.

I would not use anything the manufacturer does not explicitly OK (i.e. no radiator clamps).

Threaded connections are widely used and reliable, if done correctly. I would not be scared of them. The topic of what folks use for threaded connections, is subject of some debate. Personally, I use tape and dope and have had good luck.

Last edited:

Eman85

Reaction score
Ah, great. Can I ask how long you've had those installed?

I didn't know it was a thing to use both dope AND tape. I assume you apply tape first, then dope?
Mine have been on about 2 years with no problems. I use tape and then a light coat of dope. I'm not a professional plumber but I've done a fair amount and my trade was auto tech, now retired.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks