Bypass shower pipe without opening wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sep2_20

Reaction score
Is there a way to bypass a shower pipe, i.e. convert a tub/shower diverter spout to a plain tub spout, such that the water will not go up the pipes in the wall to the shower head? It seems the shower pipe is leaking; no drips below when the diverter is set to tub, and drips when set to shower. I'd rather not have to get a plumber to open the wall to replace the shower pipe. I tried connecting a handheld shower hose to the existing spout, and attaching a ball valve before the shower head; the drip slows down but there is still water going up the shower pipe in the wall (when I turn the ball valve open, water comes out of both the shower head and tub). I was hoping that gravity would cause water to stay down out of the shower pipe and to go only into the handheld shower head. Apparently the resistance provided by the handheld shower head is enough to force the water up the shower pipe in the wall. (BTW, appearance is not a big concern, so any solution that would stop the drip would be appreciated.)

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Have you tried capping the shower arm and replacing the tub spout without a divertor?

Sep2_20

Reaction score
Have you tried capping the shower arm and replacing the tub spout without a divertor?

I didn't try that exactly but it seems similar to what I tried (I added a closed ball valve on the shower arm, which seems similar to capping it, and I pushed down the diverter popup to set the spout to "tub", which seems similar to putting in a spout without divertor), and still water goes up the shower pipe in the wall and drips down, once I add a handheld shower hose on the spout. (Of course, if I remove the handheld shower hose, there is no resistance to water flow and water comes nicely into the tub and no water comes up the shower pipe in the wall, and no drips - but that means no showers, only tub baths, which is not an option for us.)

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How new is the work? When did you install it, what did you install and where is the picture of what you installed, 800 pixels or less.

Sep2_20

Reaction score
How new is the work? When did you install it, what did you install and where is the picture of what you installed, 800 pixels or less.

The fixtures/pipes are all original 1960, I think, not touched in last 22 years we've been here and they were not new then. The spout/faucet/shower head is a Moen, looks just like this except 60yrs old https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/81209934 . I could send a picture if you need; later this evening I can figure out how to do that.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
What if your only problem is the shower arm. I see breaks on them all the time where it threads in wall. Unscrew shower arm. It may break off inside, so you might need an easy out.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A file is better then most extractors (easy out)

Personally I use a hack saw blade and cut the old threads n two places and use a very thin old screw driver to remove the old threats just cut carefully

Sep2_20

Reaction score
Is there some way to diagnose whether the leak is from the shower arm vs. from the connection of the shower pipe to the shower valve? The drywall behind the wall tiles feels solid all the way from the tub porcelain to the top.

Reach4

Reaction score
(BTW, appearance is not a big concern, so any solution that would stop the drip would be appreciated.)
Tape the diverter actuator down with electrical tape, and remove the handheld shower attachment to remove expectations of a shower.

I know that you said appearance is not a big concern, but white electrical tape might look better than black. :rolleyes:
3m-electrical-tape-10828-dl-2w-1f_145.jpg

Or maybe you can unscrew the piece that you lift that actuates the diverter function. That would look better than tape. Or saw off the actuator rod.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where exactly is the drip you are observing? Is water dripping off the underside of the shower arm, right near where it emerges from the wall?

Cheers, Wayne

Sep2_20

Reaction score
Where exactly is the drip you are observing? Is water dripping off the underside of the shower arm, right near where it emerges from the wall?

Cheers, Wayne

The drip is in the wall, visible down in the garage under the bathroom. No visible drip from the shower arm.

Reach4

Reaction score
That would allow only tub baths; we need to take showers.
Yet you started with this:

Is there a way to bypass a shower pipe, i.e. convert a tub/shower diverter spout to a plain tub spout, such that the water will not go up the pipes in the wall to the shower head?

Did/will you try unscrewing the shower arm?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, adding the hand shower to the tub spout will also force water upward to the shower head above.
If when diverting the tub spout, it causes a leak in the wall, it may be a bad seal on the tub spout to the copper sticking out from the wall.
Often, replacing the tub spout will fix that.

Reach4

Reaction score
I tried connecting a handheld shower hose to the existing spout, and attaching a ball valve before the shower head; the drip slows down but there is still water going up the shower pipe in the wall (when I turn the ball valve open, water comes out of both the shower head and tub). I was hoping that gravity would cause water to stay down out of the shower pipe and to go only into the handheld shower head.
That is confusing. Putting a valve between the shower arm and the showerhead seems like the opposite of something that you would want to do. Further, if you replaced the showerhead with a handheld shower, you would want one with no "off" position, or at least never use the off position.

Sep2_20

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry, seems the spout might be the cause, not the shower arm or shower pipe. I took a closer look with a flashlight in the hole behind the spout (the spout is not caulked to the wall; about 1" gap). With the diverter set to "tub", there is a slow flow I can see on the underside of the copper pipe; when set to "shower" the added backpressure causes a faster flow.

I got a Danco 89266 spout at Lowes and read the instructions. Replacing the spout seems do-able; the set screw on the old Moen spout actually turns, but I didn't yet try to pull off the old spout. Any tips on pulling off the old Moen and/or installing the new Danco?

Sep2_20

Reaction score
On 2nd thought - maybe replacing the spout is not so do-able, since it's been stuck on there 60yrs, the copper pipe might get damaged in breaking off the spout.....

Instead, any suggestions on how to shield the wall from the water flowing backwards along the spout into the wall, to instead bounce off the wall and just go harmlessly into the tub drain? The water trickles on the underside of the copper pipe so any "shield" would have to seal to the pipe. Maybe stretch tape?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks