Broken brass bathroom sink tailpiece

Users who are viewing this thread

NL223

Reaction score
I broke the brass tailpiece off in my bathroom while trying to take it apart to unclog it. Can I have a new tailpiece welded to where it snapped or use a coupling to connect them? I'm hoping to avoid having to rip up the floor and ceiling downstairs.

IMG_20221126_134905548.jpg

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Tailpiece" refers to the tubular drain that is attached to the bottom of a sink, not anything that goes
into a wall or floor. Is that a photo of a pipe remnant in a wall? There will be no welding or joining to THAT!
Generally speaking, any steel drain piping should have been replaced many decades ago. It may be possible,
after the wall is opened, to connect to the old piping with a flexible rubber coupling. Just as an emergency
measure, of course.

NL223

Reaction score
Thanks, yes that photo is a through pipe going into the floor/downstairs ceiling. Would a no hub coupling hold to connect them?
"Tailpiece" refers to the tubular drain that is attached to the bottom of a sink, not anything that goes
into a wall or floor. Is that a photo of a pipe remnant in a wall? There will be no welding or joining to THAT!
Generally speaking, any steel drain piping should have been replaced many decades ago. It may be possible,
after the wall is opened, to connect to the old piping with a flexible rubber coupling. Just as an emergency
measure, of course.

NL223

Reaction score
A friend also suggested exposing more of that pipe then reattaching the tailpiece by pouring steel around it. He said it looked like it was originally attached that way. I am just looking for anything to avoid expenses of ripping up bathroom floor right now.

NL223

Reaction score
Here are pictures of the tailpiece and the bottom where it broke off to connect to the ground.

IMG_20221127_092256064.jpg
IMG_20221127_092302840.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
See if the part that remains in the floor, and the piece removed, are attracted to a magnet. If not, they are not steel.

I suspect that the pipe down the hole could be lead. And the part broken off, brass.

So maybe somebody could solder new brass into lead. I am not a plumber. Maybe, if the dimensions are right, I would consider using a glue, such as epoxy, to insert new brass into lead, as an expedient.

Also, what you had before was probably an S-trap. Those are no longer allowed, because they can siphon out if you don't finish your water draining in the lavatory with a low flow.

NL223

Reaction score
See if the part that remains in the floor, and the piece removed, are attracted to a magnet. If not, they are not steel.

I suspect that the pipe down the hole could be lead. And the part broken off, brass.

So maybe somebody could solder new brass into lead. I am not a plumber. Maybe, if the dimensions are right, I would consider using a glue, such as epoxy, to insert new brass into lead, as an expedient.

Also, what you had before was probably an S-trap. Those are no longer allowed, because they can siphon out if you don't finish your water draining in the lavatory with a low flow.
Thanks I tried the magnet and neither pipes are steel.

Reach4

Reaction score
So I think your next steps are to measure the ID of that lead at the floor. Readily available brass drain tubing is 1.25 and 1.50 inches OD.

So if it were me, I might put in brass tubing. Then you can connect to that brass tubing with more brass, or plastic. The connections are called "slip joint". Brass slip-joint tubing is often chrome-plated. Some brass tubing has a thicker wall than others. The OD is the same for the heavier pieces.

An AAV could be worked in to avoid trap siphoning. I suspect that Philadelphia, unlike most of Pennsylvania, may not like AAVs. For all I know, they are OK with S-traps, but I doubt it. So will you adopt an expedient that does not conform to code?

NL223

Reaction score
measure, of course.
I found out the pipe is not steel, probably lead. Can I use a rubber coupling if I did around it more.to expose more of the drain pipe?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can cut it then put a no hub band (below floor) to adapt to either IPS or tubular . Straps do suck I'd rather add a AAV then use an s trap

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks