Adapter advice and compression fitting nomenclature

Users who are viewing this thread

Pat N

Reaction score
First, the nomenclature. If I were to buy a 3/8 inch outlet compression shutoff valve, I would be looking at a male threaded outlet, with a ferrule and end cap. The expected usage would be to insert 3/8 copper through the end cap, then the ferrule, into the valve and tighten down the end cap. If I decided to use a 3/8 inch compression x whatever faucet supply line instead of copper, I would toss the ferrule and end cap, and just tighten the 3/8 end of the supply line onto the valve. What is that tightening down piece called?? I'm calling it an 'end cap' but on the supply line, it's not an 'end cap'. There must be some name for whatever that end piece is called.

Now for the adapter advice. I'm trying to install a bidet. I already have a warm water source right at my faucet feed inside my vanity, so I'm branching off of that and I just want to run through a quarter turn shut off on the outside of the vanity to avoid full pressure on the bidet hose all the time. This way the quarter turn can be an on/off for the bidet hose, and it looks nice and neat. I need to go from 'some size' outlet on the quarter turn to a 1/2 inch female (I believe NPT) on the receiving end of the bidet hose. Currently, I'm thinking of using a 3/8 compression outlet on the shut off. I'm hoping there is some kind of adapter that encapsulates my need for a 3/8 inch 'whatever the compression end piece of that faucet supply line is called' and a 1/2 inch male NPT threaded piece on the other side. Then I can just screw on my 1/2 female bidet hose and I'm in business.

If I've confused this explanation, this would be a 'jury rigged' solution: Use the 3/8 compression shut off, get the shortest braided supply line I can find. Do the compression end right to the shut off, then a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch NPT nipple and then add on my bidet hose. I'd rather not.

If there is no such adapter, does anyone have a suggestion for how to go from a quarter turn shutoff of any size outlet to to the half inch female hose end?
I'd appreciate any ideas. thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make shutoffs with 3/8" comp outlet, 1/2" nominal and 1/2" pipe threads.
Why not a stop with 1/2 threading if you want to thread on a 1/2" female hose?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
A bit confusing but these adapters thread on a standard 3/8" male compression thread to accept a 1/2" female supply or swivel nut.

1667141781452.png

Pat N

Reaction score
Hi Terry, thanks for your info. I found exactly what I needed at dahl-eco:
thanks again.
I'd like to pursue the nomenclature question a little if you wouldn't mind. Your garden variety compression fitting has a ferrule on a copper tube that's compressed when the nut is tightened. So, that's a nut and ferrule. What is the end of a flexible ss hose that you would use to attach to a faucet called? Are both ends just referred to as compression fittings? Neither has a ferrule and really neither seems to be a 'nut' as you normally think of one. Is it even indicated when talking about flexible hoses? I think they all have the same type end, so if you're talking flexible hoses you already know the fitting?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks