Driven point well can't seem to open the check valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rslaback

Reaction score
Long post. Bring a sandwich.
I own a shop property that is on a 1.6 acre residential subdivision lot in my rural subdivision. My wife first wanted to put in a few apple trees. We live on sand. As in we are 150 yards from the lake, the lake is 10' in elevation lower than my house and there is no need for a sump pump in my basement. It can pour for two days straight and you can mow the lawn 2 hours later. So I made up a water wagon that my son used to water the trees. Then the wife turned her trees into a mini orchard with some blueberry bushes and pear and cherry trees. A couple years ago I decided to plant a sweet corn patch so it was time for a well.

The conditions were right and Wisconsin allows it so I drove a sand point well following the state recommendations here. My well is basically figure 5 in that document. It is driven 28' deep and we hit water at 14'. The driven section of the well is 2" pipe to accommodate a slitted screen point which my research determined was the best option. At the tee I used a close nipple and a cap instead of the plug shown in the diagram. At the tee the pipe reduces down to a 1 1/4 line to match the pump. Right inside the wall of my shop there is a 1 1/4" brass check valve. The system then runs another 18" vertically or so (It used to be straight, I just put in a larger tank to avoid short cycling) to a Red Lion RJS-75PREM jet pump. The first year I used the system it worked great with the exception of the well chattering because of the large pressure bump when the well would come on which would shut off the pump momentarily. I was able to dial in the pressure switch to get it to work well and it was fine that entire first year.

Last spring when I went to fire it up again I could not get the pump to consistently come back on once it had sat for a while. It would just run and run the pump without moving water which would eventually boil inside the housing and then melt the diffuser. I eventually figured out that my problem was a stuck check valve. I wanted to try a different check valve so I got a different version but it wouldn't open either so I replaced that with one the same style as the original and it worked well for the rest of the season.

This year I fired it up and it ran fine for a few hours watering the new raised beds of various vegetables that my wife added this year in between the trees. Then the pump started humming. I shut it off and used this opportunity to put in the larger tank. I went from a 7 gallon horizontal to a 30 gallon vertical. I never did figure out why it started humming. I am guessing it overheated from being on 100 percent of the time. I also changed the output from the pump to the tank from 3/4 pex to 1' iron pipe. I got the system going and it was fine until it would need to come on from a lull. Remembering that this had happened last year I put in a brand new check valve. This time there was no difference. Reading that most of the time the stick is in the o-ring of the check valve I swapped the o ring from the new check valve into the housing of the original check valve that I had installed. I rebuilt the pump with a new diffuser which was melted and that was working great for a week or so.

This morning my wife went up to water and filled her watering cans. She heard the pump kick on but I had told her it was fine so she wasn't concerned. A half hour of weeding later and she noticed that the pump was still on so she unplugged it. She said the pump was pretty hot so I imagine the diffuser might be trash again.

I'm starting to be at a loss. I was able to verify the issue last year as the check valve as I could whack on it and it would open and the pump would gain pressure no problem. Not so much this year. When I did finally change it out I could see that it took quite a bit of push for me to get it to pop open. This year the new valve that I had put in had a bit of resistance but nothing at all like last year. At this point my guesses are: The pump is just too weak to pull open the check valve or the extra air that I have in my system by using a nipple and cap instead of a plug is causing the water to be able to drop down too far in the driven pipe and so that vacuum fights the check valve.

I do use a vacuum pump to prime the well so I could theoretically put a vacuum fitting in the top of the standpipe tee and suck all the air completely out of the driven side of the well if anyone thinks that would help. I am skeptical of that being the issue though as other wells in that pamphlet show buried service pipes and standpoint of 5 or so feet which would be theoretically filled with air.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A jet pump has plenty of vacuum to pull a check valve open, unless it has lost prime. Sounds like you may have another check valve before the tank, which can cause a lose of prime.

Rslaback

Reaction score
A jet pump has plenty of vacuum to pull a check valve open, unless it has lost prime. Sounds like you may have another check valve before the tank, which can cause a lose of prime.
There isn't. The piping comes out of the top of the jet pump in 1" iron, has a union, then a ball valve, then the water sample cock, turns to go down, has a tee with one leg to the lines and the other into the bottom of the tank.

Rslaback

Reaction score
Then I am guessing a suction leak.
That would make sense to me as well except for even days after it stops working, when I was changing out the check valve I could hear the vacuum breaking as I took off either the standpipe cap or the check valve.

Rslaback

Reaction score
Still having issues but learned a few more things. I tried a swing style check valve with no change. I tried a different jet pump with no change. The original system had the pump about 20 inches lower. When I put in the larger tank I left the check valve at that height. I just moved it up to right at the pump inlet with no change.

The vertical piping of the driven well is 2" which then changes to 1 1/4 for the stretch into my shop building. I went with 2" because I wanted a stainless slotted point instead of a traditional screen because we have a lot of fine sand and because I read somewhere that there are deep water injectors made that will just fit into a driven 2" pipe. My working theory now is that there is too much water in the vertical section of the pipe which weighs more than the pump can pull (and open the check valve). When the pump was 20 inches lower and had one less elbow it had less force to fight against.

Before I move to a foot valve and a convertible pump I want to try reducing the volume of the 2" vertical pipe. I am thinking that I could drop some 1 1/2" PVC down the 2" driven pipe to reduce the volume and see if it makes a difference. By adding the 20" of vertical height I added about 30 cubic inches of water that the pump now has to lift. If I drop in PVC down to the water line (or lower, I reduce the volume of the the 2" vertical suction pipe (and weight of the water the pump needs to lift) by 142 cubic inches total.

Anyone see a problem with trying this?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Jet pumps don't actually "suck" water. There has to be enough barometric pressure to push water into the pump, where the pump will "push" water up or build pressure. That is why a shallow well jet pump cannot draw water from any deeper than about 24'. Jet pump doesn't know the difference between 1.5" or 2" suction pipe. If the water is too deep, it won't suck it up with either size pipe. If the water is too deep for a shallow well jet, you need a packer and a deep well jet with two pipes on the suction side.

Reach4

Reaction score
I do use a vacuum pump to prime the well so I could theoretically put a vacuum fitting in the top of the standpipe tee and suck all the air completely out of the driven side of the well if anyone thinks that would help. I am skeptical of that being the issue though as other wells in that pamphlet show buried service pipes and standpoint of 5 or so feet which would be theoretically filled with air.
A combination vacuum and pressure gauge on the suction line upstream of the check valve could give interesting troubleshooting info.
Since you don't have a check valve below (foot valve), I don't see how a vacuum pump on the suction line at the well could prime the well.

Downstream of the check valve, it could probably be a pure vacuum gauge.

This could cause more potential vacuum leaks, so careful with your connection.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Winters...2-PCT-Contractor-Pressure-Gauge-30Hg-0-60-PSI for example. Be aware that the photo is the wrong picture for that gauge.

Rslaback

Reaction score
Jet pumps don't actually "suck" water. There has to be enough barometric pressure to push water into the pump, where the pump will "push" water up or build pressure. That is why a shallow well jet pump cannot draw water from any deeper than about 24'. Jet pump doesn't know the difference between 1.5" or 2" suction pipe. If the water is too deep, it won't suck it up with either size pipe. If the water is too deep for a shallow well jet, you need a packer and a deep well jet with two pipes on the suction side.
I don't think the pump cares about the suction line whatsoever when it is pumping. My thought is that the extra pound or so of water in the suction pipe is then pulling with more force as it tries to escape back into the ground compared to when I had the pump 20 inches lower.

I know that the pump has enough head to pull the water up from the well as once I open the check with my vacuum pump it will pump water all day long until I shut it off for a bit. The pump will cycle on and off with the pressure tank and switch just like it is supposed to.

To open the check valve, the pump has to overcome the force of the valve (which is minimal) the pressure of the pressure tank pushing back on the valve and the weight of the water trying to go back down into the ground on the suction side, correct? And reducing the volume of water in the suction pipe would reduce the weight that the pump has to overcome in order to pop that valve open.

I'm an automation guy by trade at the moment and I am toying with the idea of foregoing the check valve entirely and installing a solenoid valve in its place designed to open half a second after the pump comes on and close half a second before the pump shuts off, essentially making it an automated check valve but I figure that is probably a bit of overkill.

Rslaback

Reaction score
A combination vacuum and pressure gauge on the suction line upstream of the check valve could give interesting troubleshooting info.
Since you don't have a check valve below (foot valve), I don't see how a vacuum pump on the suction line at the well could prime the well.

Downstream of the check valve, it could probably be a pure vacuum gauge.

This could cause more potential vacuum leaks, so careful with your connection.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Winters...2-PCT-Contractor-Pressure-Gauge-30Hg-0-60-PSI for example. Be aware that the photo is the wrong picture for that gauge.
I have two vacuum ports on the well right now. One is at the top of the driven pipe before it turns horizontally to go into the shop building. The other is on the top of the pump in place of the priming port.

To manually open the check valve I am valving off the system so all I have is my pump, check and suction side to worry about and then connecting to the port on the pump. That is on the pump side so it can open up the check valve and pull water from the ground, up the suction through the check and into the pump.

A couple of things to know when I do this. 1) the pump is already full of water when it won't pump. I know this because the pressure tank maintains pressure in the system including back through the pump to the check valve. If I let it sit there and cavitate it also gets hotter than hot and if I immediately pull a vacuum on it the water comes out steaming hot. 2) there is water in the suction side already. I know this because I have that vacuum port on the cap of the driven pipe of the well. When the pump won't open the check and start pumping, I can unplug the pipe and take my vacuum setup out to the top of the driven pump. If I pull a vacuum on my canister and then open the vacuum port valve I instantly have water coming into my canister. If the suction side is empty (like when I take off the check valve to change it) it takes a good 45 seconds or so to build vacuum in the pipe and pull the water up from the ground.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the water is too deep, or is the pump too high, or is the pump not producing sufficient vacuum in the face of possible leaks, or is the sand point clogged?

I don't know what the canister is. I infer that like a vacuum version of a pressure tank. But if you have a vacuum fitting and a vacuum pump with a gauge, perhaps that would let you check the vacuum with the gauge on the turned-off vacuum pump.

Things that affect atmospheric pressure include the barometric pressure reported at sea level, plus the altitude above sea level. So is your water 10 ft down, or is it 28 ft below the highest part of your vacuum pipe and pump, and you are at 2000 ft of elevation? We know that latter one is not the case, UNLESS the canister was at a lower altitude than the pump.

Did you put shaving foam on your accessible joints, including the pump input, to see if foam is getting sucked in? I guess your vacuum pump sucking test kinda eliminates having a vacuum leak before the check valve.

Last edited:

Rslaback

Reaction score
This thread sucks without pics.

Here is the system as it is currently. The supply horizontal comes through the wall in 1 1/4" and then diverts up about 20 inches to an el then the check valve and then the pump. In this picture you can also see the vacuum system I use to prime it to manually open the check valve. The vacuum pump is connected to a vacuum canister which is then connected to another hose (the blue one) to connect to the water pump. This allows for the water that is pulled up to go into the canister and not foul up my vacuum pump.

Current.jpg

This is what the setup was the first time that it was having issues. I had just converted to the larger vertical pressure tank. The check valve is still in the original position that it had been when I was using a smaller horizontal tank.

Low check.jpg

I do not have a picture of the system from before the issues. It was the same pump mounted on top of the below horizontal tank. The suction line came through the wall, into the check, through the union and took a right turn directly into the pump nose. That setup worked fine for 2 years *but did require a check valve each year or so as they got sticky enough that the pump wouldn't open them.

Old tank.jpg

This is the driven section of the well. There is 2" driven down a total of 28 feet. The natural water level is 15 feet below the horizontal pipe. The horizontal pipe comes out of the 2" tee as 1 1/4" pipe. The cap has a vacuum fitting in it that I used to verify that even when the pump won't pull the check valve open that there is already water in the vertical pipe. I do that by connecting to the fitting but leaving the valve closed. I then draw a full vacuum on the canister and open the valve on the well. Water instantly pulls into the canister. When the well has no water drawn up it the same exercise takes between 45 seconds and a minute to pull water. Also, if I remove the cap or otherwise open the suction side, even after it sitting for days I can hear the vacuum squeal as the air gets sucked in as the water drops back down.

Suction side.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Check valves don't get sticky. I don't know how you know the water level is at 15'? It was already having a hard time sucking up a prime, and you raised the pump another 2-3 feet. If the water level is really at 20' and you raised the pump 3', there maybe just more lift than a shallow well jet pump can do. Put a vacuum gauge on top of the well head. If the jet pump doesn't pull a vacuum there is something wrong with it. If it is pulling a vacuum, the water is just too deep. Lower the pump or get a deep well jet pump.

Rslaback

Reaction score
Check valves don't get sticky. I don't know how you know the water level is at 15'? It was already having a hard time sucking up a prime, and you raised the pump another 2-3 feet. If the water level is really at 20' and you raised the pump 3', there maybe just more lift than a shallow well jet pump can do. Put a vacuum gauge on top of the well head. If the jet pump doesn't pull a vacuum there is something wrong with it. If it is pulling a vacuum, the water is just too deep. Lower the pump or get a deep well jet pump.
From what I have read the stickiness in the check valve happens as the o ring flattens and deteriorates. If you look in the first picture you can see my check valve collection. Most of those are the same model and some definitely take more force to get the poppet to open than the others do.

I know that the water level is at 15' below the pipe because I dropped a tape measure down it. The wet part was in the water.

Rslaback

Reaction score
But not while you are pumping water?
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking what the water level is while pumping? If so, it is pumping so the water level in the pipe is full. If you are asking what the water level is in the pipe when it is unable to open the check then I can tell you that the pipe is also full of water because I can test that with my vacuum setup.
Keep in mind that once the check valve is opened it will pump indefinitely. I ran a sprinkler on my corn patch today for 2.5 hours with the pump cycling on and off every couple of minutes just like it should. It isn't running dry.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you look in the first picture you can see my check valve collection. Most of those are the same model and some definitely take more force to get the poppet to open than the others do.
Those are spring loaded check valves which do require some effort to open. That effort will add to the total height that a pump can lift. There is a limit to that height imposed by the law of physics. If you immerse a long pipe in a lake that is full of water, capped off one end, and you lift that capped end with a helicopter, the water column in the pipe will drop under its own weight and form a near vacuum at the top. I say near vacuum since it would not be a perfect vacuum since some of the water vaporizes.

Rslaback

Reaction score
Those are spring loaded check valves which do require some effort to open. That effort will add to the total height that a pump can lift. There is a limit to that height imposed by the law of physics. If you immerse a long pipe in a lake that is full of water, capped off one end, and you lift that capped end with a helicopter, the water column in the pipe will drop under its own weight and form a near vacuum at the top. I say near vacuum since it would not be a perfect vacuum since some of the water vaporizes.
I know that physics limits the amount of height that I can pull. I think that what is happening is that the pump cannot initially move enough water to overcome the weight of the water in the suction pipe and the check valve spring. I suppose it could also be that it cannot fight the 30psi coming back from the pressure tank as well. Usually when I start it back up I have the pressure tank valved off so there is no pressure to fight. But, when it is cycling on and off by itself it obviously has that back pressure present so who knows.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think that what is happening is that the pump cannot initially move enough water to overcome the weight of the water in the suction pipe and the check valve spring. I suppose it could also be that it cannot fight the 30psi coming back from the pressure tank as well.
The 30 PSI actually presses the poppet in the check valve tightly into the tapered seat so there could be a little more than just the spring pressure to overcome. IMHO, you are cutting it too close on the lift height.

My physics lesson only touched on the "partial vacuum due to water vaporizing" without explaining its effect on the pump. Within the pump, the water vaporizing causes cavitation which then causes some loss of suction. In severe cases, the cavitation sounds like rocks tumbling around inside the pump.

Bannerman

Reaction score
A swing style check-valve should require less force to cause it to open since there will not be spring pressure to overcome.

Because the pressure tank is plumbed to the outlet of the pump, once the pump is activated, the pump should eliminate the pressure tank back-pressure by causing negative pressure to be placed on the check-valve's swing gate which should then cause it to open easily.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks