Recent content by DIYorBust

1. DIYorBust

Water Softener For Dishwasher

I was thinking with the heating element at the bottom I could pour in vinegar or citric acid, I guess phosphoric acid would work better, but for things like removing mill scale, I usually go with vinegar overnight rather than handling a more powerful acid when I have the option. I'm skeptical it...
  2. DIYorBust

Thanks Reach4, I'll keep this under consideration. For now the salt softener dishwasher seems to be doing it's job. The massive buildup of minerals in the old dishwasher does make me concerned about the water heater. Is it possible to descale a water heater? Water heater is oil fired, and about...
  3. DIYorBust

Thanks Jeff, I hear you. I actually strongly considered this. It would also protect the water heater from scaling. On the balance, I was concerned that I had no drain for the brine in the basement. The main drain is close to the ceiling in the basement. I was concerned that a pump for the water...
  4. DIYorBust

Thank you for the advice. I replaced the dishwasher with a Bosch unit that had a water softener, and now, after a truly obnoxious installation, I no longer get grey glassware after every load! The German engineered Bosch cares nothing for the installer, but makes use of every cubic inch of the...
  5. DIYorBust

In practice I had a situation once where the dishwasher was so far from the water heater that it never got any hot water. I plumbed it onto the cold line to avoid wasting hot water and to get the benefit of cleaner water in the dishwasher and it worked fine and was still fine a decade later. The...
  6. DIYorBust

Hey congratulations on going gold! You don't hear that much these days. I'd have to make to 80 or so. At any rate, we're on the north fork, and on municipal water, so we are in a different water distribution area than East Meadow and Babylon, but I'm surprised the difference would be so great...
  7. DIYorBust

Thanks for your response. I tested the water hardness using a fairly accurate Taylor kit that I use to test my pool. The result was 250ppm, which I understand is fairly hard water. The dishwasher develops thick crusts over time in recesses in the racks and other locations. They are difficult to...
  8. DIYorBust

Is there a small water softener I could buy for just one appliance? I have a scaling problem in my dishwasher due to hard water. I don't really have a big problem with my other appliances. I don't feel that I need or want softened water at every fixture, particularly at outdoor hose bibs, but...
  9. DIYorBust

1/2 " Brass Nipple - Slip or Sharkbite?

Well I'm late to this party, but a TP fitting would have probably saved you the drywall work: https://www.mrsupply.com/approved-vendor-1-2-threadless-pipe-x-copper-adapter-cftp12.html
  10. DIYorBust

Hot and Cold line crossed somewhere

Turn off the main hot water supply at the water heater. Open a hot water tap. You might need to disconnect a hot water supply line and put it in a bucket if you have only mixing taps at your fixtures to be sure. Is water coming out?
  11. DIYorBust

UK Faucet in a US bathroom

A single hole 2 handle lav faucet with pop-up waste is what we needed for this project. While a perrin and rowe and a zuchetti faucet were identified they were in the 500-1000 dollar range and had a long ship time. Enter the Bristan R BAS C Regency...
  12. DIYorBust

Copper dishwasher supply line?

3/8th OD Refrigeration tubing seems to be commonly sold with half the wall thickness of type L.
  13. DIYorBust

Actually following up, I see terry said the following in 2019: It sounds like that may be 1/4" ID type L soft copper? I just checked the specs, and that would seem to have a 3/8" OD. I think the difference is that the wall would be thicker, but it would not fill the dishwasher as fast...
  14. DIYorBust

Thanks Mr. Young. That seemed like it made sense, although another thread suggested that they were thinner walled than type M or L copper used for underground supplies. I guess it's good enough for a dishwasher supply.
  15. DIYorBust

I need to replace a copper supply line for a dishwasher, the supply stop valve is 3/8th compression. However I noticed when I went to order the soft copper tubing, the 3/8th inch OD is labeled for refrigeration, utility, or oil. Are these suitable for use in a dishwasher application, or is there...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks