Down force drain tube replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffNC

Reaction score
We've got a freestanding tub that came with a down force drain kit. The plumbing has already been installed awhile ago, and a tile floor installed. Time to put in the tub, and alas the drain tube has been lost. It was brass. The tub company has so far been unresponsive/unhelpful.

I found some replacement parts that I think should fit. I'll have to cut the length of the tube, but otherwise I think the parts are replacements. The issue I'm having is that the tube won't fit into the floor drain gasket. What I'm guessing is that the original tube has a slight bevel or taper at the bottom which would have aided in installation.

Is there a way to achieve that, or simply buy a tube made for down force drains?

downforcedrain1.jpg
downforcedrain2.jpg

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
homedepot: "MAAX F2 Drain ABS Kit for Freestanding Bathtub Installation". Is this what you need?

Last edited:

JeffNC

Reaction score
homedepot: "MAAX F2 Drain ABS Kit for Freestanding Bathtub Installation". Is this what you need?

No, I already have the kit, in fact it's already installed in the floor. The down tube has been lost. It's a standard tube except for the bevel at the bottom.

JeffNC

Reaction score
need to lube it up . the tailpiece is radiused with a dull edge on the proper tailpiece so be careful with that one

I understand that, the lube came with the kit. I don't understand the rest of your comment. I'm looking for a tailpiece with a taper or bevel on it like the one in the kit, or how to accomplish that with a standard tail piece.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I understand that, the lube came with the kit. I don't understand the rest of your comment. I'm looking for a tailpiece with a taper or bevel on it like the one in the kit, or how to accomplish that with a standard tail piece.
Been doing this a long time but only done a few tubs this way. I used one in the kit.
Never had to search for one with the specialy formed end.
take a grinder or file to it and bevel but also roll the edge and put a lot of lube on it.
I guess I may not understand you its impossibble to insert the tail piece at this time?
If youve tried locating and cant find it I doubt I can eithert

JeffNC

Reaction score
Been doing this a long time but only done a few tubs this way. I used one in the kit.
Never had to search for one with the specialy formed end.
take a grinder or file to it and bevel but also roll the edge and put a lot of lube on it.
I guess I may not understand you its impossibble to insert the tail piece at this time?
If youve tried locating and cant find it I doubt I can eithert

Well, I don't know if it's impossible, but I can see it's starting to cut and tear at the gasket if I push too hard. Lubing won't help that. I think you're right about grinding it, that might be my only option at this point. Can you tell me more about how to roll the edge?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeff NC , I dont know how to roll that edge I know my instructions said dont cut the tube heat up a all brass tube and turn under with pliars and then dress off the sharp edge with a dremel , might be able to get a decent end on it that way

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A dull tubing cutter will create the bevel you need. Or applying too much force while starting the tubing cutter.

But essentially the part is called a Flanged Extension Tail Piece. Can be brass or plastic.

JeffNC

Reaction score
A dull tubing cutter will create the bevel you need. Or applying too much force while starting the tubing cutter.

But essentially the part is called a Flanged Extension Tail Piece. Can be brass or plastic.

If you mean the part they start with before rounding it down at the factory, yes, I already have one of those and that's how I know it won't fit. I very much doubt it can be plastic because of the potential stresses put on it during installation. No down force drains come with a plastic tailpiece.

I don't have a tubing cutter let alone a dull one, I don't know if that's something the box stores provide as a service, I can check....

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The few I seen were rough brass. with a rounded edge . only installed one and I used the one that came with it really no reason not too unless you lose it. Try doing something Im out of suggestions . Tuttles came up with an idea but scratch that you dont have a cutter. Kinda disappointing you would think if you spent an hour or 8 looking youd find a new tailpiece heve it shipped to house by now. mine fit real tight I used a lot of lube and no problem

JeffNC

Reaction score
You can buy a replacement tube for $50... comes with all the extra parts you don't need.

EBAY
If I get desparate I might go that route. They don't show the tailpiece but it seems to be this one. Crazy price difference.