Replacing shower fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

caddo3279

Reaction score
I am remodeling the bathroom and have torn out all the old tile in the shower in order retile the shower. I am also going to raise the shower head up an additional 18 inches. I have bought all new fixtures so the old plumbing is going to have to be replaced. Is this something an amateur plumber can do? If so what is my first step?

Prashster

Reaction score
Don't mean to be flippant here; I'm a diyer myself. But you'll get more helpful responses if you do a little research first and then ask specific questions or propose your method/materials and ask for verification. "what's my first step" is too open ended to be handled efficiently.

Your best starting point (IMHO) are the Stanley and B&D plumbing books in HD. They have many pictures and cover projects like the one yr attempting.

All this being said, and without seeing your layout, I believe yr proj shld be doable for a diyer. If yr lines are copper, practice sweating some joints before doing the shower line.

The real tricky part of a shower reno is the waterproofing. For guidance on that, I'd go to johnbridge.com.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You said that you bought all new fixtures. If you bought fixtures that match your old ones, you won't have to re-do all your plumbing--just raise your shower up to the height you want.

If you did buy a different brand of fixtures, you'll have to install the correct shower manifold for them.

This sort of plumbing can be done by an amatuer, but it would be nice if you had someone with some experience there to help guide you.

Prashster

Reaction score
I defer to any professional here. However, as a homeowner on a budget, if it were me, I'd at least cut away the wall and have a look at what you've got. What yr doing MIGHT be very doable.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
it's true you can learn how to make waterproof supply pipes, and it's also true that every homeowner has the right to work on his own house... it's a bit late to learn this now, when you want to build your shower again and have it working soon. (Supply pipes can leak later, after they first pass the test). So there is every reason to hire a Master Plumber for what will be a clear cut operation for him/her. For the pipes and fixtures. You have to know in advance what method you will use to make your walls and waterproofing because he needs to know how thick your wall will be once built.

About waterproofing tiled walls: check out these options:
1.) Wedi,
2.) Kerdi,
3.) the trowelable (liquid) waterproofing membranes like Redgard, Mapei HPG and others,
4.) the use of a plastic sheet under CBU.

A plumber will tell you that you need waterproofing but he won't install it. This is a good project for DIY. Caddo, since you haven't mentioned any foul smell, I guess you didn't have a humid space inside the shower wall cavity. Depending on your climate and your building, it may be really really important to ensure that your new shower be waterproof. You want to build it right or else you will be breathing bad air all the time once mold grows behind the tiles.

David

Prashster

Reaction score
With all due respect, the waterproofing is the harder part of a shower remodel. Assuming the supply lines are copper and in good repair (both big assumptions), then slicing and extending the shower head and replacing the valve is straightforward and can be tested quickly. I'm not saying it's easy - just easier than the waterproofing:

waterproofing requires proper sloping of the floor, a good understanding of how the drain works (which is deceptively complicated and specific to the type of install yr doing (kerdi or conventional), and a good understanding of how to select, mix, and apply different types of mortars.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks