(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Basement Rough-In... HUH?

Default Basement Rough-In... HUH?

So, I'm about to embark on a basement finishing project. Part of the project will be a full bathroom in the basement. I'm not 100% sure if i want to do a tub or shower, either way I have a bunch of questions on my rough in! Here's a pic:

Name:  20130417_190647_resized.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  60.2 KB

Sorry for all the clutter.

So, in the back by the sump pump there's a floor drain, on the wall next to that there's a pipe that goes from floor to ceiling w/ a t coming off. I'm guessing that this is the drain for the sink? Next there's a smaller pipe coming out of the middle of the floor that's about 8" tall. I'm guessing this is the shower drain? Then the toilet flange next to it (pretty sure i got that one right). And another 14" high pipe coming out of the floor next to the wall. I'm guessing this is the toilet vent? There's also a pipe capped coming from the ceiling above that one.

So are any of my assessments correct? If so, the toilet flange and shower drain are VERY close to each other! How the heck is that going to work?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

From the picture and your description, your assessment SEEMS correct. As for the "shower and toilet", I don't know what the installer had in mind, because the don't usually put the shower between the toilet and sink.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I'm guessing that the rough is for a 1/2 bath and there is no shower drain at all. The 1-1/2 is probably the lav drain and the 2" is the toilet vent.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Then you would just ignore the 1 1/2" stub out at the pump?

Laundry tray maybe. He would have to see if there's a trap on the pipe coming through the floor to know for sure.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Thanks for the replies! I dug through the notebook that came w/ the house from the original owners and it said that basement had a rough in for a 3-piece, so i'm guessing shower, toilet, sink?

So, I should check and see if there's a trap on the one coming out of the middle of the floor, if so, it's a shower drain...

Even if it is, is there any way that this layout would work without breaking into the concrete?

quote; is there any way that this layout would work without breaking into the concrete?

Anything is possible, but you would have to draw the layout and adjust the walls to fit it. On the surface, it just seems like a "dumb" layout if that is really a shower drain. (it would also be a "dumb" layout if it were a sink that close to the toilet.) If it is not the shower drain, and it should be a full bath, then there is a trap buried under the concrete somewhere.