(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Please Help with Drainfield

Default Please Help with Drainfield

Hi gang,

I need your help please.

I hope I am posting in the right section. I noticed a few months ago that my drainfield had puddling. Out of desperation, I tried AmeriSep. (I know, I know, I wasted money.) Then I tried some Septic-Flow Septic Drainfield Repair System I saw in Amazon. I bought 5 gallons. I applied them directly to the wet spot, as instructed. The spots went away, but now new spots are appearing.(BTW. I had the tank pumped out in June 2012. The tank cleaner said the tank looked good. )
    So I returned to Amazon to see what else is available. I see that they have Bio-Safe One. But now I’m doubting its legitimacy because there is a troll here that has posted his ‘reviews’ on the product.

What else can be done, other done get a contractor and install a new pipe? Should I get more Septic-Flow to treat the drainfield?

Thanks in advance.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

All of those magic elixers are a scam. Forget it.

What is the age of the leachfield and about how many lines and length? chambers or rock and pipe?

You should have a distribution box, try and find it and make sure each run gets its perfect share. Many D boxes are poorly set and shift all flow to one line.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    All of those magic elixers are a scam. Forget it.

What is the age of the leachfield and about how many lines and length? chambers or rock and pipe?

You should have a distribution box, try and find it and make sure each run gets its perfect share. Many D boxes are poorly set and shift all flow to one line.

The house was built in the early 70's. My wife and I bought it in 2001. Tank has been pumped out 3 times since our purchase. I am not sure how many lines. I say at least two (2) lines because I have seen wet spots in two locations. When I get a chance I will take picture of the location of the tank and location of the wet spots.

I have been lurking this site all afternoon. From what I have read, an average lifespan of a tank / drainfield is roughly 30-50 years? It sounds like I am due for an expensive replacement? I hope there is something I can do to prolong the life of the field so I can save money. UGHHH..

ballvalve,

To answer your other question, I want to say it's rock and pipe. As far as length, I would say each line is at least 20-feet long. We live in the country on a 2-acre land.

Blog Entries

Thenecessary length of a conventional septic drainfield trench as a function of the soil percolation rate and the anticipated daily wastewater flow from the building served. The field is a series of trenches that may be up to 100-feet long and 1 foot to 3 feet in width, separated by six feet or more, depending on local requirements

There is a table on the link http://inspectapedia.com/septic/fiel...htm#fieldsize3

You may also want to check out this site : http://inspectapedia.com/septic/septicdiag1.htm there is a chart down in the text "Soils Septic System Troubleshooting Chart"
    Kevin

thanks for the links. very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by wallskev View Post
    Thenecessary length of a conventional septic drainfield trench as a function of the soil percolation rate and the anticipated daily wastewater flow from the building served. The field is a series of trenches that may be up to 100-feet long and 1 foot to 3 feet in width, separated by six feet or more, depending on local requirements

There is a table on the link http://inspectapedia.com/septic/fiel...htm#fieldsize3

You may also want to check out this site : http://inspectapedia.com/septic/septicdiag1.htm there is a chart down in the text "Soils Septic System Troubleshooting Chart"

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Your tank is okay, and you can or must make the drainfield longer. 20' is unheard of. A one bedroom here gets 200'. They actually could do 100', but they know your going to add on and not ask.