Above ground outdoor water feed permanently on. Heavy duty garden hose or copper pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
This feeds an in ground irrigation system. The irrigation system is in groud, all 3/4" SCHEDULE 40 white PVC. I am using a 1" Orbit manifold.
The manifold is installed at the corner of the house. Around the corner, adjacent to the wall with the water spigot, I have a patio. There is a stretch of around 25' between the spigot and the manifold. At the contact line between the wall and the patio there is a slightly biger than 1/2" gap where I could probably install an above the ground copper pipe that I could run between the manifold and spigot (also 1/2") . The other option would be to run a garden hose that is dessigned for permanent pressure.
I do not want to dig under the patio to install PVC or copper to feed this system
I live in Toronto so winterizing this will be required.

Two questions:
1)is the 1/2" copper pipe safe to be installed above the ground in that gap between the patio and the wall, and maybe add a thin layer of finer river stone on top just to cover it visually
2) I currently have a water hose from the previous owner that feeds this system. It is 1/2" and I do not have issues with the pressure in the system , the sprinklers work ok. It does not entrirely fit in the above mentioned gap spece.
I was told that I need to replace This with a hose or RV hose that is rated or designed to be permanently under pressure. This makes sense

What would you recommend me to do?
I am inclined to have a hose there because I will just remove it when the winter comes. Thr problem is that I have no idea what type of hose (what in the specs would make it ok for this situation)
I could buy one of those hraby duty stainless steel hoses from Amazon but there is nothing in the product description that says it could work undet permanent pressure. I get it that the stainless steel coat will protect the hose from outside but the water pressure acts from inside right? The steel exterior will help to a degree but I am not sure if it adds to thr pressure rating

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Hoses for constant pressure might be ones rated for RV's. Usually the rating means safe for drinking water but I could don't find any pressure specs other than maximum pressure to 150 PSI. I found some RV hoses rate at 160 PSI and are usually made of PVC material.

Copper can be used almost anywhere but PVC pipe will also work. As with any irrigation system, an air compressor should be used to purge the system of water for the winter months.

Mini Me

Reaction score
Yes I am planning to use the compressor for the rest of the system before removing that hose
I would like to have the copper pipe or the hose as close to the surface as possible as it might puncture and flood the house somehow, it will be way to close to the wall

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When I install copper tubing underground, I use type K not L

Mini Me

Reaction score
I would still like to use a hose if there is one right fort his. I hate soldering things

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks