Pfister or American Standard 2 handle shower valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Shelly

Reaction score
I am tearing out tile and replacing 1953 Crane shower valves, because they are leaking. I have decided to go with the 2 handle. I know they are considered dinosaurs and they have code issues, so there are not many choices. My final choices are a (chrome) pfister or an (brushed nickel) American Standard. I am ordering from an online co. I am having a professional do the installation. Is there a difference in quality between the two companies? I have Dornbracht and Grohe throughout my house and have had some trouble with both products in the last 16 years. Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
At this point, I would say no difference between Pfister Faucet Brand and Mexican American Standard.

If your inspector deems that the scope of work is a remodel, you will not be allowed to install a two handle.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Good luck getting parts in the future if you install a non-code two handle. What you are buying is old stock. Parts are drying up.
You have the tile out, and you will never find a better time to buy a non-scalding or temperature dropping pressure balanced valve that will still have parts in the future. Two handles? really? It has to be at least twenty years since I've installed a two handle valve.

Last edited:

Shelly

Reaction score
Thank you Terry and jimbo! That is the exact problem I am having now....no crane parts for a single valve after 60 yrs. So, I am probably being dumb, but I like the 2 handles and all of the showers in the rest of the house have 2 handles. This is not a remodel. It's a plumbing repair. The bathroom is very '50's vintage. I needed your thoughts on the two companies, because as you said, they are being discontinued by most companies. Kohler still makes a few too. So, I wasn't sure what my less of all evils was. My plumber likes Pfister. But, they seem so cheap.Thank you very much for wishing me luck! I need it....The tile is coming out as I write:eek: Shelly

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are pressure balance valves that can be plumbed in to make a traditional 2-handle shower code complient...it's all in the wall. There are also some pressure balanced valves that have separate temperature and volume controls - effectively giving you two handles, but not hot cold, but temp/volume. Young and old people are more prone to scald induced problems, and from a code issue and eventual resale, it makes a lot of sense to become complient now, rather than when you may want to sell the house and have to tear things apart.

whoisville

Reaction score
I am having a problem with an older Price Pfister setup just like you have described here, two-handle separate temp/volume controls, it's gone cold on me. I can feel that hot water is getting to the temp side, so I think the balancing spool/valve must be bad but I can't find a part number anywhere. If you happen to know a good source, I would really appreciate it, along with any tips. Getting away from two handles would be very expensive at this point, thanks in advance!

IMG_1137[3].jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Without a parts breakdown it is hard to tell for sure, but that LOOKS like the carridge from a single handle faucet, which would also perform the on/off functions. Call 1-800-PFAUCET and ask for information regarding Model 0X2-110A. As far as 2 handles faucets in general, I doubt that the parts for the Pfister 2 handle will get scarce any time in the foreseeable future.

pp_07_shower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: