Shoot or Frack low flowing well?

Users who are viewing this thread

rhuian

Reaction score
Thanks for the help getting my pump back in operation. Now that Its working it doesnt take very long to pump dry. The well appears is ~ 40' deep and water fills in to about 15' feet from the surface. After I pumped it down I pulled out the pump and lowed a flash light and can see small streams of water coming in from the sides starting at about 26'. My dad said I should let it fill back up get my shotgun out, load up a slug, and fire down the well. Is this really a good idea?

bit more info:

Pumped for about 11 minutes till flow dropped to a trickle.
If I did my math right I was pumping 6.5 gallons per minute.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sounds like you casing is rusty. Acid is a good way to open up rusty casing. Contact Cotey Chemical in Lubbock. They have they stuff you need. Don't waste your time with the shotgun.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The shotgun trick was often used on 2" casing with a sandpoint on the end of it with the intention that the shockwave would dislodge sand that has clogged the sandpoint. A larger casing for a well with submersible pump may use screened casing at the bottom or if set into bedrock, the water may enter the well through fissures in the stone. I doubt the shotgun trick would do any good.

If it is rust clogging the screened casing, acid as valveman suggests would be the route to take. If the screen has clogged with sand, surging may open it up. Surging involves running a "surge block" up and down like a piston to push and pull water back and forth through the screen. A combination of surging and overpumping might develop the well to produce more.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
BTW, fracking is only done on rock wells to open up fissures in the bedrock. It is not done on mud wells with screened casing.

bucky49

Reaction score
would air pressure applied to well clear sand from 2" well screen?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Air can be used to drill wells. So if done correctly, air can clean the sand out of the casing, and as the sand comes up, it sandblast the screen clean.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
If your in the Tulsa Area Many years ago I drilled a 700 foot hole for a Radio Station on Skyline Rige and we only got about 1 gallon per minute. I suspect your water is coming from shale formations. The water comes through small venis in the shale. Many of these wells are only cased the top 20 feet. Shooting won't help! Since it is so shallow you can't frack it. I'm guessing the best solution is to move. . . about 500 miles :)^), I did! I now live in Virginia Beach but I'm still an OKey at heart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks