Bolt-up shower drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Does anyone make a drain for an acrylic shower base that bolts up like a garbage disposal? some type of arrangement with screws and a collar?

Existing shower base, I have access from below but not enough clearance to tighten the normal 3" nut in place.

I am aware of the Wingtite but prefer a more conventional drain with the rubber sleeve and castle nut connection to the drain pipe. Also not thrilled with the Wingtite silicone, would prefer a flange with a gasket.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Also not thrilled with the Wingtite silicone, would prefer a flange with a gasket.

If it has a gasket, the gasket belongs on the BOTTOM of the shower and you still need silicone, or putty, between the flange and the shower base.

wingtite-terrylove-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
HJ, I see the Sioux unit above can be used with either putty or a gasket (top side). I'm OK with either, just don't want silicone because I don't want to glue the flange to the acrylic base. I want to have it easily serviceable.

jackrabbit-09.jpg

Sioux Chief JackRabbit shower drain

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would not worry about a shower drain being "easily serviceable". If it doesn't last the life of the shower, there will be nothing easy about THAT!

jackrabbit-07.jpg

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Jimbo, not so sure about that. The existing unit is about 15 yrs old and just started leaking. Regular ABS no-caulk drain with the big hex nut. Appears that leak was caused by the nut loosening from repeated flexing of the shower floor (base) over the years. Fortunately it used a gasket on top so it came out easily. I'll fix the floor flexing but still want to give myself a plan B ;)

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
OK, after further research I found an even better drain than the SiouxChief. The Davke 3000:

Same idea, but also available in a no-hub so you can connect with a Fernco, which will allow a little flex in the system. This should accommodate minor movement of the shower floor without stressing the parts.

jackrabbit-14.jpg