How to remove plastic pipe stuck inside copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can heat the copper with a butane large lighter to soften the plastic, Then turn it out with the $3.49 sprinkler riser extractor or a tapered file that fits inside.

I agree, heat it up and it will melt enough to pull out easily.

plumdum

Plumber
Reaction score
So you don't have to do any soldering on copper. Take a wet rag and wrap it around the copper female adapter. Use a torch played at the top of the pvc male adapter that is broke off, just to get it soft. Then just use a screw driver or something similar and pry it out.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a tool of that, If you have time to wait and order it.

the "nipple/pipe extractor" would be nice, but Tools like that are something a Pro would have.
Not very cost effective just for 1 time use.

A good utility knife should cut PVC without damaging the threads.

Go to the irrigation section of home depot, they have an extraction tool made for plastic nipples .

plumdum

Plumber
Reaction score
The original poster does not want to learn how to solder copper. If he applies too much heat to the fitting, he could lose the solder joint. A wet rag around the solder joint will keep it from overheating.
If thats overtightened cpvc, its not going anywhere without heat enough to soften it - and NO rags.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Pretty sure the pvc would be good and burnt before you lost the solder... but what do I know.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The plastic is relatively soft. Anything you can put inside that's tapered will likely make a grove and then allow you to turn the thing out. A nipple extractor is designed to do this, an easy-out, and many other removal tools. If the pipe is large enough, a hacksaw blade could cut a couple of notches deep enough to weaken it so it would turn out easier, or pry out a wedge and then allow it to come out. Shouldn't need heat or extrodinary means, but maybe a little creativity if you don't have the right tool. If there's enough sticking out, you could file a notch across it, then use something like a screwdriver to span the notches and unscrew it that way.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I told him to use a butane grill lighter. If he can unsolder that joint with that, something is strange in his plumbing.

copper threads are rolled or formed and seem to have a special desire to keep plastic wedged in. A newbie to this with a hacksaw blade would likely cut the threads and end up with a leak. Lets all remember these are TAPERED fittings, and when overtightened, are fairly welded together.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; If thats overtightened cpvc, its not going anywhere without heat enough

I have yet to find ANY plastic male adapter that can be "overtightened". Before you reach that point the entire thread would be buried in the female thread. It is NOT polybutylene, and it IS white. That failure is a common one. Sometimes I have to fix two or three a week. The key to the repair is HOW you do the repair AFTER the plastic piece is removed.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
With the Asian brass fittings, and now PVC, I find everything out of spec, some barely going in and brass and SS fittings that the fittings bottom out in and still wiggle. Starting to think about epoxy as pipe dope, for the dopes in our congress that let that crap pollute our country.

They open containers at the dock looking for fake handbags and rolex's - pipe fittings? electrical parts? Possibility of death with failure? Wave it on through to home depression.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
With the Asian brass fittings, and now PVC, I find everything out of spec, some barely going in and brass and SS fittings that the fittings bottom out in and still wiggle. Starting to think about epoxy as pipe dope, for the dopes in our congress that let that crap pollute our country.

They open containers at the dock looking for fake handbags and rolex's - pipe fittings? electrical parts? Possibility of death with failure? Wave it on through to home depression.
whoda thunk this original question would have so many answers? Almost as popular as if he asked how to wire in a new grounded duplex outlet in an old house with ungrounded ones. go figure

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
whoda thunk this original question would have so many answers? Almost as popular as if he asked how to wire in a new grounded duplex outlet in an old house with ungrounded ones. go figure

I think that this project may require a permit.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Has the Inspection been done yet ? I hope that it passed.

Have a Happy New Year Everyone.

DonL

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
quote; If thats overtightened cpvc, its not going anywhere without heat enough

I have yet to find ANY plastic male adapter that can be "overtightened". Before you reach that point the entire thread would be buried in the female thread. It is NOT polybutylene, and it IS white. That failure is a common one. Sometimes I have to fix two or three a week. The key to the repair is HOW you do the repair AFTER the plastic piece is removed.
Color must be off on my monitor.

Schustermarie54

Reaction score
In my opinions, forget the M. It is just too thin walled.

Also in my opinion copper is for homes of the past and there is no good reason to use it in new homes. Look at the posts here for frozen, burst, leaking, pin-holed pipes and the trouble most Diy'ers have repairing it.

PEXa or CPVC would be my choices now.

There is the argument that many have that they have done it this way for 30 years and nobody can tell them any different. That's all fine and dandy but I use a cell phone, or home phone, not a telegraph, a computer, not a typwriter, and tools that use rechargable batteries.

CM2304

Reaction score
You could take a pair of needle nosed pliers, stick just the tips of them inside the plastic pipe, pull the handles open so the ends of the pliers hold tight against the inside dimension of the plastic pipe, then rotate the pliers counterclockwise while maintaining outward pressure on the handles. If the plier ends slip on the plastic, you can cut some groves inside the pipe for traction with a utility knife or a small file.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You could take a pair of needle nosed pliers, stick just the tips of them inside the plastic pipe, pull the handles open so the ends of the pliers hold tight against the inside dimension of the plastic pipe, then rotate the pliers counterclockwise while maintaining outward pressure on the handles. If the plier ends slip on the plastic, you can cut some groves inside the pipe for traction with a utility knife or a small file.
I don't think so. did you ever try that yourself with a tightly screwed in pipe stub? Post 7 shows the right type of tool to use, and it works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks